Saturday, June 7, 2014

Breakfasts For My Husband: A Year In Saturday Mornings

How it all began: 

Husband and I were married on June 1st. We went directly on our honeymoon after the wedding and had a ball on our Disney Cruise to Alaska and we returned home June 12th. 

I decided while making Breakfast For My Husband on Saturday, June 15th that I would attempt to make something different for breakfast every Saturday until our one year anniversary. 

<I ended up deciding to round it up to 52 versus the 51 that were left until our first anniversary>

Now as a goal, it originally seemed a bit daunting. I mean, 52 different breakfasts? Yowzer! Plus, the facts that Husband and I travel with some regularity, I do crazy diets a times, and occasionally Husband works on Saturdays, it just wouldn't be possible! 

So I figured I should ease up on myself a bit. I decided that on the Saturdays where I would be unable to make Breakfast for My Husband, I would to make a breakfast in honor of that Saturday morning on a different day of the week. Also, I decided that I could make variations on certain dishes to count as long as they were something a new and interesting to Husband and myself (ie Regular Pancakes Versus Apple O Cakes).

With those restrictions in place, I set forth on my culinary journey which then lead to me starting this blog.

Here is the completed list:

6/15 - Traditional Pancakes
6/22 - Welsh Rarebit
6/29 - Traditional English Breakfast

7/6 - Traditional Waffles
7/13 - Traditional French Toast
7/20 - Breakfast Burritos
7/27 - Breakfast Pizza

8/3 - Kolaches 
8/10 - Belt – Bacon, Egg, Lettuce, and Tomato
8/17 - Mexican Egg Casserole
8/24 - Toasted Soldiers with Soft Boiled Eggs, Bacon, Apricot Muffins
8/31 - Biscuit and Gravy

9/8 - Croissant Roll with Apple, Cheese, and Honey
9/14 - Slinger
9/20 - Biscuit Casserole
9/28 - Eggs Benedict

10/5 - Pancake Bites
10/12 - Breakfast Cookies 
(If you'd like to see a photo of any of the breakfasts above, click here)
10/19 - Potato Latkes 

11/9 - Sticky Buns
11/23 - Egg Muffins

12/28 - Granola Bars

1/11 - IdahoSunrises
1/18 -  Egg and Quinoa
1/25 - Bacon Quiche

2/8  - Egg Clouds
2/15  - Baked Eggs

3/8 - Danishes
3/15 - CornedBeef Hash
3/29 - BakedDoughnuts

4/5  -  BreakfastBruschetta

5/10 - Chilequiles 
5/17 - Breakfast Berry Tart
5/24 - Breakfast Stromboli...or what one might call a Breakfast Hot Pocket
5/31 - Egg in an Avocado (with Carnitas Hash)

And today's Breakfast is:

6/7 - The most classic of classics: Scrambled Eggs and Bacon (with a Biscuit and Jam)




I have to laugh as bacon has been such a trail for me over the last year that it was PERFECT today. I am very pleased with how this last year of breakfasts have gone and I look forward to seeing how deep into our second year of marriage I can go with even MORE new breakfasts.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Quick Announcement: Mondays will be the new BFMH Post Days, bringing the blog down to 5 weekly posts versus 6.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There you have it 52 different (albeit some a bit similar) breakfasts spread out over the course of my first year of marriage to Husband. I am ecstatic that I was able to complete so many different breakfasts for him (and myself) and that most of them were successes. While over the first year of marriage my weight fluctuated more that it had ever in the past, I think that I have FINALLY, at the age of 30, gotten the hang of eating breakfast regularly and starting the day out right.

Until the next 3,652* more weekly breakfasts!...give or take a few. 


* To clarify: 3,652 weeks equals about 70 more years together, putting Husband and I at 100 years old respectfully. I feel like that is fair guesstimate knowing our family histories.

No comments:

Post a Comment