Saturday, March 15, 2014

BFMH: Corned Beef Hash (St Patrick's Day)

My father LOVES this dish. He use to order it when we went out to eat for breakfast. Mom brought it in the can for him occasionally and he would put it over his Potatoes O'Brien. Personally, it always looked like throw up to me from the can. I am not sure what it was about it this dish, but it never looked good to me. until the day I finally took a bit. 

Oh My Lanta...yum...

So I thought, since I had already made corned beef in honor of St Patrick's day, that I would try my hand at this little ditty. I turned to the man who had taken over Food Network when I was a teenager.

Corned Beef Hash a la Emeril Lagasse
Ingredients
1/2 stick unsalted butter
2 cups small diced yellow onions
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 1/2 pounds corned beef, chopped
1 1/2 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled, small diced and blanched
¼ tsp paprika
1 Carrot, shredded
parsley
Method
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a large oven-proof skillet, over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the onions. Season with salt and pepper and paprika. Sauté until golden, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and corned beef. Continue to sauté for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes and carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat. Using the back of a large spoon or spatula, pack the mixture firmly into the pan. Place the pan in the oven. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and slice into individual servings.

Husband really like the rendition of Pulled Pork Hash I made for him a while back, and I wanted this classic to be a winner as the substitute was decent.



I was half asleep this morning so forgot to use my cast iron so I could put it in the oven. so everything was cooked stove top with a lid. Also, you will notice that I made about a fifth of what was suggested in the recipe as it was only Husband and I eating.


This dish was great. I dare say I liked it more that the Corned Beef and Cabbage simply due to the lack of cabbage and addition of egg.


Husband was very happy with it as well and I think that I will look for something to do with the cooked cabbage other than eat with corned beef. This dish is gonna win.

No comments:

Post a Comment