Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Secret's in the Sauce.

So, I don't know if y'all have noticed yet, but I am from the South. I love cornbread, fried chicken, barbecue, crawfish, rice and beans, chili, Tex-Mex, jambalaya, grits, etc. I suppose the one this I don't really care for is okra. I need to cook with it soon to reassess my feelings. 

One thing that is truly spectacular in the way of the South is the dish Fried Green Tomatoes. 

While the dish isn't terribly hard to make, you do have to know someone with a a tomato plant as the green tomato is just an unripe tomato. Also, you MUST use cornmeal for the batter. 

Anywho, while I love all most Southern Cooking, I also really like French and Italian Cooking and to make hybrid meals. So after being gifted 3 lovely green tomatoes, I started thinking about how to change up the usual frying of them. Then I thought of the most pleasing looking meal with a flavor to boot: Caprese!

So I fried them up using this batter recipe for my 3 rather small green tomatoes:
Ingredients
Bowl 1
1 egg 
1/4 cup milk
combine all wet ingredients
Bowl 2
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper 
combine all dry ingredients
Method
Pat sliced tomatoes with dry ingredients
Dip in egg/milk mixture
Then coat well with dry ingredients again.
Fry in 1/2 inch of hot oil in pan
Flip once when batter on sides looks crisp
ENJOY!

Then I just added a bit of mozzarella and balsamic "reduction", which needed about 10 more minute of thickening time.

Beautiful and delish! 
These were very good and it was not just because of the balsamic. While not the healthiest of meals, the breading soaked up a nice amount of the balsamic which wasn't quite thick enough.

Until the next southern meal...


**Today's title is from the movie:Fried Green Tomatoes**





No comments:

Post a Comment