Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Now children are more aware of healthy foods.

We have really cool friends.
Like SUPER cool.

Two different friends went cherry picking this last week and have now given Husband and I cherries! 

Bing and Rainers!

all the yums....

So, besides just eating them and noming down on them willy nilly, I decided it was time to experiment.

Thus I decided to make Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies.

Betty Crocker Cooky Book Best Cooky of 1935-1940 adapted to include Cherries!
INGREDIENTS
1/3 C shortening 
1/3 C unsalted butter
1/2 C white sugar
1/2 C brown sugar (packed)
1 egg
3 t vanilla
1 1/2 C flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 C real semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 C fresh cherries, chopped fine

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 375°
Mix at medium speed for about 5 minutes, shortening, sugars, egg, vanilla, soda and salt.
Add flour and mix carefully starting with a slow speed until well blended.
Add chocolate ships
Scoop spoonfuls onto a baking sheet (about 12 per sheet)
Bake 8-10 minutes
Cool for 5 minutes before removing from cookie sheet and let cookies finish cooling on a rack


I love this recipe for chocolate chip cookies personally. I don't like it to be ALL butter or ALL shortening so this is the one for me.


I needed to chop the cherries finer, but, as I didn't have a pitter at the time, I got a bit fed up and only roughly chopped them.



These cookies were a bit too crumbley/soft. Perhaps a little less flour and bit more cooking time next go around.

In other news: I am learning how to sew on a machine. Look at the skirt I made! remind me to NEVER make anything without a pattern for a long, long time.



Until the cherry explosion...

**Today's title is from Candy Crowley: I was born in the Midwest, where 'salad' was cherry Jell-O with bananas in it. Now children are more aware of healthy foods.**

No comments:

Post a Comment