Saturday, May 3, 2014

BFMH: Huevos Rancheros



This weekend, Husband and I had an adventure to Sunnyvale visiting and getting re-antiquated with one of my best friends from High School and meeting his wife. It was a long awaited trip and I am exceedingly happy that it finally happened. While we visited, I am very happy to receive some excellent guidance from the lady wife, who is one class short of a dietitian...certification? I am not sure what you would call it, but she looked over my food and exercise diary while we were visiting. She made a few suggestions that I am very excited about putting into action!

I requested to make breakfast while we were there in order to fulfill my promise to Husband and so I made something in honor of Cinco de Mayo.   

Huevos Rancheros
Ingredients
8 corn tortillas
2 cans vegetarian refried beans
1/2 onion, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons butter
enough oil to coat pan
8 eggs
1 bottle of medium chipotle
2 avocado, sliced
1 package lite Mexican cheese
Method
Toast the tortillas in a pan with a tablespoon of butter to get a bit a crispy base for your breakfast.
Grill onions with garlic cloves until tender with 1 tablespoon butter. Remove from heat in a bowl.
Reduce salsa over medium heat in the onion and garlic. 
Heat beans in a separate pot.
Once everything is about ready, heat oil in a pan until it dances. Drops eggs into, watch, and quickly   
Layer crisp tortilla with beans, onions, and an egg. Top egg with salsa, avocado, and cheese. Enjoy.


I think these turned out delicious. My friend, his wife, and my Husband, all liked the it as well. I think that if I made this with black beans, not refried, this could be a healthy enough for breakfast.


No comments:

Post a Comment