Saturday, March 1, 2014

BFMH: Homemade Poptarts

Today, the Bro Bro and Company arrive! I am very excited. so I decided to get a little over zealous with my breakfast of choice this morning: Poptarts! for this beautiful pin that has been circulating since my beginnings at Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/123497214755727884/

Cherry Chocolate/Almond Butter Poptarts
Ingredients:
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon water
1 package refrigerated pie crust
3 heaping teaspoons Hot fudge sauce mixed with 3 heaping teaspoons almond butter
6 heaping teaspoons cherry jelly
coarse sugar (or granulated sugar)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°F and cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a slip mat.
In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and 1 teaspoon water. Set aside.
Roll out pie crust till it’s pretty thin (about 1/16th of an inch thick). Cut into 2.5 inch x 3.5 inch rectangles, re-rolling the dough as needed. You should end up with 12 rectangles.
On each of the 6 remaining rectangles, spread 1 heaping teaspoon of nut/chocolate mixture, leaving a 1/2 inch border around the edges. Then top with with a layer of cherry jam, again making sure to leave a 1/2 inch border.
Top with the pie dough and slice 3 small slits to allow for ventilation.
Seal the edges with the prongs of a fork and brush with egg wash mixture. Sprinkle heavily with coarse sugar.
Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack. Let cool for 5 minutes and then serve!

I decided to make these with an almond butter/hot fudge mixture because I had both versus buying a jar of Nutella and getting on a Nutella high/bender. Also, as I have no strawberries or strawberry jam/jelly, I went for some of the most magical stuff around...Cherry Hut jelly! http://www.cherryhutstore.com/



This place screams summer and my "in-love" family. It makes me most happily joyous.

Right then, how breakfast turned out:


Delicious! These turned out delicious!

I just need to learn to make my own pie crust now.

1 comment:

  1. I love The Cherry Hut! I make a point to stop in and get my grandmother some jelly every time I go up north. (Which is weird, because I don't actually like cherries...in any capacity.)

    ReplyDelete