Tuesday, June 17, 2014

I've read hundreds of cookbooks.

I have made many many things with biscuits a la Pillsbury Grands. While they are easy and a delight to open, I kept thinking to myself, I can make these. I don't need to keep buying these. Just imagine how many preservatives are in these things. Why can't I just buckle down and use Grandma Jones's Biscuit Recipe? Why am I just a lazy bum who can't do something for yourself?

Sorry, I can get a bit negative when I know I have done something MONTHS ago. Tsk Tsk, Cat.

So I finally did it I made the freezer biscuits!

Homemade Freezer Biscuits
4 cups flour
2 Tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup shortening, butter, or partial coconut oil 
1 3/4 cup milk
Mix dry ingredients together. Add in the shortening or butter and mix until crumbly.
Add in the milk and mix until a ball forms.
Roll out onto a floured surface and cut into biscuits.
To Freeze: Freeze on a cookie sheet for 1-2 hours. Then remove and place in a airtight freezer bag.
To Bake: Pull the desired number of biscuits out and let thaw for 30 minutes to an hour. Bake at 450 degrees for 8-12 minutes. You can bake them straight from the freezer but they won’t rise much.

This goes into 


















Gotta cut them biscuits!

Biscuit Pizza Crusts!!


















Pizza to be Frozen and then
defrosted and cooked as needed!



















Ta Dah! Biscuit!!















These aren't QUITE as tasty as the preservativeful and butterful Pillsbury Grands, but they most certainly do the trick.Not that these (with the shortening) aren't full of preservatives, but since it is the same sort of preservatives I put into my cookies, I don't feel too bad about it all.

These were a bit smaller than Grands, so instead of 2, Husband need 3 to feel full for dinner. It doesn't seem to upset him, just a little more work than what was planned it all.

Until the next meal...


**Today's title is from Colonel Sanders: I've read hundreds of cookbooks. Most of those cookbooks don't even tell you how to get a steak read, how to bake biscuits or a pie.**


No comments:

Post a Comment