Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Happiness: a good bank account, a good cook, and a good digestion.

So the other night I didn't feel like cooking... I know! Who is this person who writes this?!?!

In all seriousness, I just wan't feeling it let alone had no desire to go out to the store to get the things necessary. I, also, didn't want to go out and spend more money (we went over our food budget a bit last month). I am sure I was in such a funk simply because I hadn't planned the week yet. Any who, I took to the kitchen to see with what we had to work. 

Pasta (staple, I buy different kinds when it is on sale as it doesn't go bad with any rapidity)
Tomatoes (leftover from a meal a few weeks prior)
Garlic  (staple, at least in my kitchen)
Onion  (staple, again, at least in my kitchen)
a bit of brie cheese and rosemary Parmesan (leftover from a small shindig had a couple week early) 
Milk (staple)
Flour (staple)
Butter (staple)
Chicken  (staple, we buy in bulk at Costco)

So I figured I could make a light white sauce, roast so garlic, caramelize some onions, and cook up some chicken, throw it on some pasta wtih diced tomatoes and call it done. I reflect now that for MOST people this would NOT be a "blerg, I don't waaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnt to cook!". Most people would order take away or heat up something prefrozen instead, but not this girl. I still cook, even if I don't feel like it. 

The dish was pleasant, nothing to write home about. I think perhaps some ham or sausage mixed in would have been a welcome addition. The distribution of the white was on the light side, which is fine, you really don't need a lot of that stuff. 

Oddly enough, I think that the leftovers have gotten better...The white sauce has sort of become one with the pasta and the tomatoes, somehow, and held onto their firm nature. As you can see, I am very fancy at work, with my plastic fork and paper plate. 


Until the next meal...


**From the great mind of Jean-Jacques Rousseau, a French Philosopher during the 18th century and French Revolution: Happiness: a good bank account, a good cook, and a good digestion.**

No comments:

Post a Comment