Wednesday, June 25, 2014

I must be like the princess who felt the pea through seven mattresses...

My favorite thing from when I worked at the SLAM was the soups. Puck's always had such good selection of soups throughout the year and it was the easiest thing to take home after a day at work. The chilled English Pea Soup was a particular fave of mine. Unfortunately, it is FULL of heavy whipping cream. So I came up with a healthier alternative.

Healthy Chilled English Pea Soup
Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
6 green onions (white only)
1 cup yellow onion 
4 cups chicken or veggie stock
1 clove of garlic
5 cups peas (2 10 oz frozen bags)  
2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon of honey
Method
Soften leeks and onion in oil or butter
Add peas let cook for 3 minutes
Add stock let simmer for 5 minutes
Add honey and stir until well combined
Puree soup 1 cup at a time
Garnished with: Whipped crème or creme fraiche, chives or chopped mint





This turned out wonderfully. The gals loved it and I loved it. As I dislike gazpacho, I love having an alternative to the tomato broth. Make this sometime this summer, your guests with thank you. Serve with garlic croutons or stale bread.

Until the next meal...


**Today's title is from C.S. Forester: I must be like the princess who felt the pea through seven mattresses; each book is a peas.**

No comments:

Post a Comment