Monday, May 19, 2014

The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook.

I saw the episode with Julia Child making this when I was about 12. Not too long after, I made this dish, granted without the brandy at the time. I found it on the menu once when I was 14 and I ordered it right away. Unfortunately it showed up at my table with mushrooms in it...ICK. Well, I liked the flavor of the sauce, but I ate around the squishy texture of the actual fungus. Now, 16 years later, I like finally mushrooms and am fine with the texture.

This recipe has grown with me. From ingredients to style of preparation, I find that this dish will constantly change to what I enjoy eating and like to cook at the time which I cook it. As an younger, inexperienced cook, I relied on my mother to assist. I didn't tenderize and flatten out the steaks as I would today. I use to stick just to the recipe and not venture out. Today, I find that I am not intimidated by flambe-ing anything, or putting in a bit of extra work in the presentation. Also, shallots are still out of my price range normally and I really like onions so I used white onion instead of shallot. In the future when I have an even busier life (ie kids) I will probably find away to simplify it even more.

I think of the dish Steak Diane like a friend. A friend who is up to take an adventure, a night on the town, or just enjoy a night in. Much like my late friend Diane Maple. The year anniversary of her passing is upon us and I am still angry at the loss of such an exceptional woman. We, especially her daughter, have been robbed of a fiercely joy filled, trustworthy, and loving woman. I think of her often and remember our private jokes that will never reciprocated again. My heart is heavy as I write about this maternal figure I, all of us, have lost. This is the only problem with writing my blog in a free flow style, you all have to keep up with my thought process. I know I should write something hopeful and closure like here, but the wounds are still too fresh. I can and will say from experience, that is will be okay and it will get easier for myself and for those who were blessed by Diane.

Lindsay, I promise you it will. My prayer and love is for you today in your time of sorrow.



And now, I guess, it is time to get back to the recipe that inspired all of this.

Steak Diane (a la Julia and Cat's life experiences)

Ingredients
1/2 pound boneless steak, such as top loin or New York, 3/4 to 1 inch thick, and cut into 2 portions
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup brandy
15-ounce of mushroom broth
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon butter, softened
1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 Juice of a lemon
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
Method
Season steaks on both sides with 1/4 teaspoon pepper and salt. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, add the steaks and cook 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
Add mushrooms and onion to the pan and cook, stirring, until golden brown and beginning to release their juices, about 3 minutes. Add brandy and cook, stirring, until almost evaporated, about 1 minute. Add broth and Worcestershire sauce, whisk, bring to a boil and cook until reduced by half, 8 to 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine butter and flour in a small bowl to form a paste. When the pan sauce is reduced by half, whisk in mustard and lemon then gradually whisk in the butter-flour paste a few bits at a time and cook until the sauce thickens, about 1 minute.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Return the steak to the pan along with any accumulated juices. Turn to coat with the sauce and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Top the steak with the sauce and sprinkle with chives.

As usual, even though it is my recipe, I changed it up a bit this time. I ended up cooking the mushroom and onion and garlic in the Crockpot to make some really good mushroom broth (which I used instead of beef broth) while I was at work for the afternoon. Not amazing, but it was two birds, one stone. 

Husband requested something green on the side. So I went with the lowest calorie delicious green thing.


Roasted Green Beans

1 lb fresh green beans
drizzle of olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Preheat oven to 425.
Add green beans to a bowl and drizzle a tiny bit of olive oil on them. Mix with your hands to coat each green bean. Lay them on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Roast for 25-30 minutes, flipping once during cooking.


In the words of husband "Holy crap! Those are the best green beans I have ever had...You know, without being smothered is some kind of sauce."


Make these. Low calorie and just about the most delicious thing ever.


Husband was over the moon with this meal as was I. It was stunning.

Until the next meal...


**Today's title is from the wonderful Chef, Julia Child.**






No comments:

Post a Comment