Tuesday, May 27, 2014

A cucumber should be well sliced, and dressed with pepper and vinegar, and then thrown out....

Answer me this #7

1. Beach or Mountains? Where would you rather be?
If I have to choose, beach. Preferably a lake beach with close to no waves, a chance to warm up due to shallowness, and shady spot on the sand. And floating dock. But now I am just getting greedy. I like the ocean time of beach, but after a bad experience last summer, I am much more timid about getting into any sort of wave above my hips.

2. Which is more fun: Christmas Eve, or Christmas morning?
Christmas eve! I like the anticipation and tradition that go along with the day before. Normally, all my gifts are purchased and wrapped before Dec 6th (St Nicholas Day) specifically so I can enjoy the season and focus on what it is really about. While the gifts are great, Christmas Day, even as a child, meant it that Christmastide was in decline and soon to be over.

3. What’s the most embarrassing childhood outfit you remember wearing?
For some reason, both my twin and I like short sleeved,  button front shirts made of rayon or polyester and normally with sort of outrageous/ridiculous design. They looked find on Broder with his jeans, but I decided to pair mine with the short page boy hair cut I had and my addiction to short-alls (Overalls but the legs are shorts) and I will just say, those were my “awkward years”.

4. Your house is quiet, you don’t have to do work (housework included). What do you do?
Excellent question….I love to be busy. My first thought was to answer with ”finish some sort of outstanding project that isn’t necessary to stress over”. BUT If you mean don’t have to work on ANYTHING, then it is straight to reading, video games, movies, television, and arts and farts…..I mean crafts.

5. What movie do you want to watch when you’re feeling under the weather?
Usually Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings/a movie that most people have seen, that is a bit too long for a regular viewing and will marathon them….Or a comedy like Mystery Men or Wet Hot American Summer.

6. Did you have an American Girl doll when you were little? If so, which one?
Of course, I did! Samantha all the way! She was super awesome. Artistic, educated, and thoroughly privileged, but knew that she had it so much better than most other people in the city.


And now on to what I wore on Sunday:

It was a lovely day on Sunday and so I decided to show off my pride of our Fallen Heroes by dressing pretty darn patriotically.

After church and lunch, Husband and I got to enjoy a lovely BBQ with some friends from the Softball group Best Friend's Husband is a part of. It was their church's BBQ and it was quite an event. I didn't get many pictures, but I did snap this one of just about the sweetest little Nugget. She and I got to hang out for a good chunk of the party. We are totally tight now.


Later that evening, Nugget's mom and I split cupcakes since we both wanted to try a couple different flavors, my two favorites were the Peanut Butter Chocolate (made by Nugget's momma) and the Flourless Chocolate Mint. The cutest cupcakes were definitely the Margarita cupcakes (pictured below with a less than cute face).


I did make something for the BBQ. An oldie, but a goodie:

Cucumber Onion Salad
Ingredients:
2 English cucumbers
1 small Vidalia onion
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup sugar
Method
Slice cucumbers and onion into a shallow dish.
Heat vinegar, water, and sugar until simmering.
Pour over cucumber and onion and allow to sit for at least an hour.
Mine sat over night in the fridge and was perfectly tangy and yummy!

I don't have a picture....I'm sorry, interwebs...

Until the next BBQ...


**Today's title is from Samuel Johnson and reads in full: A cucumber should be well sliced, and dressed with pepper and vinegar, and then thrown out, as good for nothing.**





No comments:

Post a Comment