Friday, November 1, 2013

You're Scottish, Fry something!

Husband is at work this fine Friday (overnight out of town sort of work) and I am off to a Doctor Who Tribute Art Show in Hollywood (be jealous) by myself (alright, a little less jealous).

With the sheer number of "must-gos" as the Husband's family calls nearly done for leftovers, I decided I would show the dish I made on Wednesday as I will be eating the left overs tonight.

So the Butternut Squash Risotto I had thought to make 2 weeks ago became a reality!

Cat's Butternut Squash Risotto Recipe:
1 tablespoon Butter
1/2 an Onion (I used brown, but choose what you like), diced
1 cup of Roasted Butternut Squash (I reserved this from a recipe earlier in the week)
2 cloves Garlic, minced
fresh Sage
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon White Pepper
1 cup Arborio rice, uncooked (Don't try this with regular long grain rice. You'll be unhappy with the results.)
3 cans (about 6 cups) of Chicken Stock/Broth (or veggie stock if you're vegetarian or vegan)
1/2 cup Cheese, grated or shredded, Parmesan or Asiago (leave off or sub out if you're vegan)
1/2 cup of Milk <the heavier the yummier, but I just used 1% and it turned out yum> (leave off or sub out if you're vegan)

Melt butter over medium high heat in a large skillet. Put Onion, Squash, Garlic, Salt, White Pepper, and Sage into the pan and let cook till well heated and fragrant. If you don't (or can't) cook by your nose, cook till the onions are browned and translucent.

Chef's Note: Most recipes have you cook the squash then set it aside and then cook the onions with rice and add the squash back in later so that the squash keeps it shape and consistency. That is up to you. I enjoyed to gruel-like texture as it is Halloween Time.

Heat stock in a separate saucepan  until simmering and have a ladle at the ready.

When the veggies are cooked and the Broth is a bubbly, then the fun begins!

Stir uncooked rice into the veggie skillet and allow to toast for a minute.

Reduce the heat to medium low.

Ladle in a scoop of broth and stir rice and veggies gently until all the scoop of broth is absorbed. Repeat this step until you have only about 2 ladle fulls left of broth.

Check the doneness rice. It should be al dente, but not crunchy. decide then if you want to add the rest of the broth.

Add milk and cheese, stirring together well. Serve immediately with more cheese and sage if desired.

The photo above doesn't do much justice to the yuminess that it was. Mainly because I was a little distracted (I was watching Bedknobs and Broomsticks while I was cooking) and I left the squash and onion in while the rice was cooking. Though it did little to assist the presentation of the  dish, I think that it helped the flavor as everything was infused with scrumptious, sweet squash and onion flavor.

I will definitely will be making a Risotto again. Husband enjoyed it and I found it not too difficult to make. PLUS it will be reheat very well. I love left overs.

I also made the best cookies ever for Halloween at the Office. Chocolate Crinkles. Ask anyone...or just ask my brothers. BEST COOKIES. A little messy and involved to make, but I think that my Mom had a good this going when we helped her make these brownie bite delishiousness (yes, that is word...now). She could make the dough a day a head of time (it has to be refrigerated) then get her kids to help with the messy/fun part. I am not going to bother typing out the recipe as it is a Betty Crocker Recipe found in her Cooky Book.

Here is a link to it though: http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/chocolate-crinkles/941e22b3-9a48-4fb1-bdb0-27479e76d484


Here is the rolling process:

Here is the delicious-ready-to-eat process:



**Today's title comes from Doctor Who:The Eleventh Doctor episode "The Eleventh Hour". The full quotation is as follows: Young Amy: What is it? What's wrong with you?
The Doctor: Wrong with me? It's not my fault, why can't you give me any decent food! You're Scottish, fry something!" **

No comments:

Post a Comment