Monday, November 18, 2013

It is one of the few contributions America has made to world cuisine.

As I am living in the world of South Beach right now, I find that the best way to adhere to said diet is to have food ready to go! So I prepped a Crockpot full of Phase 1 approved chili. It is very nice and really isn't all that different from regular chili. It is easy to make, to reheat, has easily varied serving sizes, and is just plan yummy. 5 days in now and have been very successful thus far, besides a few beverages of choice. I'll give a proper update on Thursday at the weekly check in mark.

On to the good stuff, talking about the food. I know, I know, I know! I betray my Texas roots for having BEANS in my Chili. I can't say that it didn't break my heart a little bit when I found this recipe, but I was looking to find a recipe what would be filling and healthy. In that aspect, I did succeed. So here it is...

Crockpot Black Bean Chili with a Twist Recipe
1 large onion. finely chopped
2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 pound extra lean ground beef
1 bouillon cube reduced in 1 1/2 cups of water
2 cans black bean, rinsed and drained
1 can fat free refried pinto beans
2 cans petite diced beans
2 tablespoons cilantro
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 lime wedge per bowl for garnish
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro per bowl for garnish
1 tablespoon low fat sour cream per bowl for garnish
Method:
In a pan over medium high heat, heat oil and saute the chopped onions until tender and lightly browned.
Put into the Crockpot.
In the same pan, put ground beef and brown.
Combine the bouillon cube with the water by microwaving the water to hotness and stirring and smashing the cube until combined. Pour over the beef while it is cooking to keep the lean beef moist while it browns then pour it all in the Crockpot.
Rinse and drain the black beans at least 3 times to remove the excess salt from canning and add to Crockpot.
Mix in the rest of ingredients, save the garnish.
Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours. Serve with a lime wedge squeezed over it, a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cilantro.



Husband really liked the chili when he had it for lunch so that is a great sign. I think it turned out very nicely and has already proved to be a good stop me from eating my arm or something not on Phase 1. I think that the use of some hot sauce would be good in the cooking of it as it was very mild (though not bland).


Until the next recipe...



**Today's title comes from Rex Stout, the author of the Nero Wolfe mysteries series. The complete quote is as follows: Chili is one of the great peasant foods. It is one of the few contributions America has made to world cuisine. Eaten with corn bread, sweet onion, sour cream, it contains all five of the elements deemed essential by the sages of the Orient: sweet, sour, salty, pungent, and bitter.**

No comments:

Post a Comment