Thursday, October 31, 2013

This bread pudding's extra runny tonight.

One of the bosses at work brought in a grip of of bagels the other day, but, by the next day, they were pretty much hard as a rock.

The bagels, not the bosses.

There are 4 left so I figured I could figured something out to do with them, or they would just get thrown out to the birds at my house versus work. I brainstormed what to do with leftover, stale bread. I could make bagel chips, croutons, french toast, bread pudding, bread crumbs, stuffing, dressing, etc. I find that I like to use these sort of situations as a challenge.

Like how the DIY community looking solutions for the surplus Compact Discs that plagues our fair country.

I decided on a savory bread pudding. When I suggested it to Husband he remarked that he "didn't know savory bread pudding was a thing". I had never made on until this one so I was inclined to agree, but I figured I would try to make "fetch" happen.

Here is the recipe I came up with:
Cheesie-Veggie-Breadie Pudding
Ingredients:
The Dry (ish) Portion
Leftover  stale bread type things, diced into bit sized cubes - 1 pound
Sausage - 1 pound
Butter - 1 tablespoon
Onion - 1/2 onion, diced
Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
Mushroom - 1 cup, diced
Greens - 1 cup
Tomato - 4 Romas, de-seeded (personal preference) and diced

The Wet(ter) Portion
Eggs - 6 eggs, beaten
Cheese - 1 cup, grated
Milk - 1 cup
Greek yogurt - 1/2 cup
Mustard - 1 tablespoon
Thyme - 1 teaspoon
Rosemary - 1 teaspoon
Sage - 1 teaspoon
Salt and Pepper - to taste (1 teaspoon of each if you have a bad sense of taste)

Method:
Preheat oven to 350 degree and well grease a 9X13 pan.
Line the greased pan with bread cubes.
On the stove top, brown the sausage, then put over bread.
In the same pan, melt butter and the saute mushrooms, garlic, and onion until tender and delicious smelling. Bonus: The veggies soak up more sausage yumminess.
Throw greens and tomatoes into wilt and tenderize after the mushrooms, garlic, and onions are about done.
Top bread and sausage with ALL THE VEGGIES.

Then mix the wetter-cheesie-custard-like-stuff:
Mix together eggs, cheese, milk, yogurt (please, don't make this dish if you are lactose intolerant), and mustard until well combined.
Then mix in the herbs and spices.
Pour over the Dry(ish) ingredients in the pan.
Bake in the oven until set, about 30 - 40 minutes.

I made this and took it to Alicia's house for us to nosh on while we handed out a Halloween Candy.

It turned out decent. Tasted a bit too breakfasty as I had used breakfast sausage versus a spicy italian. Everyone who had some liked it though. I will try this again for sure! 




In slightly more awesome news:
Here is a picture of Husband and I in our Halloween Costumes. Primarily Thrift Store put together pieces with a few alterations, there were still quite a few DIY delights in here.
I constructed Husband's Chimney sweep broom out of a Dollar Store broom, black spray paint, a floral foam cylinder, and a bit of black gaff tape.

I am SUPER proud of it. My hat was originally brown so it was spray painted and adorned with QUITE a bit of hot glue.  


I brought the umbrella from the Disney store and my carpet bag from Target a couple years ago. To say the least, this costume has been a long time coming.





**The title for today comes from National Lampoon's Vegas Vacation. Just one more reason I don't do buffets if I can help it. Well...except on a Disney Cruise ship. **

No comments:

Post a Comment