Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Don't gobblefunk around...

So I made my original recipe deliciousness:
Brie,Onion, and Apple Tarts!

These little buggers are a huge hit with the regulars at my Thanksgiving feast. 

It must be known that Thanksgiving 2012, I had these ingredients around the house the day before the dinner. Being a bit bored, I ended up deciding I liked all these foods, so there for, let's see who they were all together. Prepped them much like how it is described below, then plopped them in a pie crust.

That is how a legend is born.


Here is the basic gist of this delish dish:
Crust:
You can make your own crust if you would like, but I ended up using a puff pastry lining the cup of a muffin tin.
Filling:
1 large onion, diced (I used red this year but it was rather hard to caramelize and a bit bitter so I suggest white or yellow)
1 tablespoon salt 
2 tablespoons of butter
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup red wine
1/4 cup of flour
1/4 cup of brown sugar
2  green apples, peeled, cored, and diced
8 oz of brie, diced *It isn't necessary, but it is take less time to cook if you take off at least some of the rind*
Method:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large skillet, oven medium heat, melt butter.
Add onions to the butter, sprinkling the salt over then as they soften to pull out the juices.
Allow onions to cook, stirring occasionally, until they are soft and translucent.
Add balsamic to the onions. Cook until reduced and syrupy.
Combine the flour and red wine to make into a paste.
Add the flour/ red wine combination to the onions and stir until well combined.
In a mixing bowl, toss apples with brown sugar.
Add apples to onion mix and allow to cook further until the apples are soft.
Once apples are soft, stir in brie. Stir often to encourage the cheese to melt. 
Don't be tempted to turn up the heat, as this will increase the chance of burning the filling.
Slow and steady wins the yummy race.
Once all the ingredients are well combined, allow the filling to cool slightly to thicken into a paste.
Then fill your cups/tarts, bake for 25-35 minutes, and enjoy! Should make 12 tarts.

Chef's note: I will normally make the filling a day or two ahead of time and then bake the tarts the day of as that saves quite a bit of time. Granted, I do that with my pies as well.

Until the next Thanksgiving meal...



**Today's title is from Roald Dahl's masterpiece The BFG. The full quote is "Don't gobblefunk around with words", but I imagine that I can paraphrase this to "DO gobblefunk around with food!"**


No comments:

Post a Comment