Monday, February 24, 2014

What did you do with THAT, leave it in your snood?

Dapper Day at Disney!!!



For more info, check out their site:http://dapperday.com/

Fancy dress, fancy make up, fancy....hair....poop. I have the worst trouble doing the back of my own hair. So I thought for my most dapperest of outfits, inspired by the classic theme park Mickey outfit, I would make my life a bit easier by making a SNOOD.

What is a snood you ask? Here is what Wiki says:
A snood (rhymes with 'food', not 'wood') is historically a type of European female headgear, or in modern times a tubular neck scarf. In the most common form the headgear resembles a close-fitting hood worn over the back of the head. A tighter-mesh band may cover the forehead or crown, then run behind the ears and under the nape of the neck. In modern times, snoods have been popular for many years with European footballers like Gianluigi Buffon and Sam Goodman (an industrial squad player - usually at fullback - in the lower Icelandic leagues). A sack of sorts dangles from this band, covering and containing the fall of long hair gathered at the back. A snood sometimes was made of solid fabric, but more often of loosely knitted yarn or other net-like material. Historically (and in some cultures still in use today) a small bag—netted, tatted, knitted, crocheted, or knotted—of fine thread, enclosed a bob of long hair on the back of the head or held it close to the nape.

This was my first time to finish an attempt to follow a crochet pattern. While I didn't end up doing the pattern completely correctly, it turned out really well! Here is the pattern I followed: http://www.freevintagecrochet.com/hat-patterns/star195/fish-net-snood-pattern

For the outfit proper, I was thinking classic theme park Mickey.

Mickey Mouse welcomes guests to Walt Disney World. Guests can be part of the "Disney Difference" by following theme-park etiquette.


I bought a red A-line skirt as well as the white top from the thrift store for $6 total (which has buttoned POCKETS!). I made a pearl collar statement necklace from a dress that no longer fit me to be my most awesome of collars. I already had the ruffle socks, black cardigan, and the saddle shoes. Plus a pair of my Mother's gloves, a cocktail ring from a friend of mine, and my yellow snood and ta-dah. MICKEY! Not Minnie like more people were thinking.

My Husband for the win as he was on board with this "go in the style of a classic character".  As he is an exceedingly tall man, I suggested he dress in the style of Goofy to go with my vision of Mickey.



He got some bright blue pants and an orange shirt to go with his black vest, brown shoes, and green tie. The only thing missing is a hat in the Goofy, but that is not a huge disappointment considering one of his current flat caps will work out just fine.

Here we are:


Until the next trip to Disney!


**Today's title comes from the wonderful holiday classic, White Christmas.
Phil Davis: [Buying train tickets] Uh, I don't seem to have any cash.
Bob Wallace: What did you do with THAT, leave it in your snood?**

No comments:

Post a Comment