Monday, February 3, 2014

He who eats with most pleasure...

I love sauces. 

Food is simply a vehicle for sauce to get from the plate to my mouth. 

While this is not WHOLLY accurate, it is not far from the truth. A good sauce can save dry chicken or cut of meat. A great sauce can make cooked cauliflower look yummy. All in all, I really like sauces and condiments as along as they compliment the food and not just cover up the natural flavors of the vessel. 

One of my favorite sauces, contrary to what I just wrote, can cover up any original flavor and still be amazing. an that is the vinegary spiciness of Buffalo Sauce.

Homemade Buffalo Sauce
Ingredients
1/3 cup rice wine vinegar (apple cider or white wine vinegar work as well)
1 tbs chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tbs garlic powder (I didn't have any, so I left out the regular salt and used garlic salt)
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cayenne powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp honey
1 tbs cornstarch (I used flour)
2 tsp canola oil
Method
Add all ingredients to a pot, whisk until well combined. Cook over medium-high heat until just starting to bubble and thicken. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Thin with water or vinegar, if desired.
Store in an air tight bottle. Keep refrigerated.

*To make chicken wings, toss the finished sauce with melted butter and then coat wings. Sauce will not keep well with butter. Combine with melted butter just prior to using.



Tomorrow, I will post what I used this spectacular (and inexpensive) sauce in. It isn't what you think.

Until the next meal...



**Today's Title is from Xenophon, a great Greek who once said something utterly incorrect: He who eats with most pleasure is he who least requires sauce.**

No comments:

Post a Comment