Friday, February 14, 2014

It's Valentine's Day...so whatever...

So it is Valentine's Day today...

I'm going to be blunt, I think this is the DUMBEST SILLIEST "Holiday" ever.

That being said, and I have said this pretty much all my life, I get positively giddy when my beau decides to do something sweet for me around that time.

Now, THAT being said, I get giddy any time my beau decides to do something sweet for me.

Several years ago, I cried I was so blown over when my then boyfriend got me a dozen roses. I still have every mix CD that was ever given to me on this day of days. I always make a little gift or get chocolates for my beau at the time and if I don't have a beau, I do so for my best gal friend if she was single as well. It just made the day a bit special and out of the ordinary. And we all need "out of the Ordinary" from time to time.

This year, this weekend is not only Valentine's day, but also President's day. Husband and I had talked about going away for an overnight trip to someplace in So Cal or the Grand Canyon. As it is in his line of work, the minute we started working on making plans, work came up. That of course meant no weekend trip for Husband and me. That is fine, I figured a date night in, a special Valentine's Day Breakfast, and a small gift would make the day a-ok. Husband upped the wager though. He called me up and asked me on a date to my favorite restaurant in LA, the Tam O'Shanter.

Here is a brief History of the Tam O'Shanter:
The Tam O'Shanter Inn, established in 1922, is one of Los Angeles’ oldest restaurants. The restaurant serves hearty pub fare with a touch of Scottish flare, and is known for its prime rib and Yorkshire pudding. Walt Disney was a frequent patron there.
The Tam O'Shanter Inn was established by Lawrence Frank and Walter Van de Kamp, founders of Van de Kamp's Holland Dutch Bakeries who went on to found the Lawry's restaurant chain.They commissioned Harry Oliver to design the building. He constructed the Storybook Style building aided by movie studio carpenters. The Tam O'Shanter Inn opened in June 1922 and was a great success. The owner said, "Every piece of wood which was used in this structure was thrown into fire first with the result that we never had to paint it and it got more beautiful as the years went by." (L.L.Frank to B.Stohler)
It was remodeled in 1968 and renamed the "Great Scot", but has since been brought back to the its original name "The Tam O'Shanter Inn". The restaurant's decor still features English and Scottish medieval weapons, kilts, and family Coat of Arms and Medieval Family Crests.

The Tam-O, as it is known for short, is located at 2980 Los Feliz Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90039 at the corner of Boyce Ave and Los Feliz Blvd in Atwater Village.

I am managed to finish my little gift for Husband in time for our hot date. It is just a small sketch of Jessica Rabbit for us to hang in out rotating art frames in the Dining Space. Nothing big or too exciting, though I think he will really like it.

For our Hot Date, I decided that I would wear my Best Dress...aka my WEDDING DRESS! If any of you reading are planning on getting married soon, I urge you to get a dress that can be used outside of just the happy day. I have worn my wedding dress now several times: My Wedding Day, Wedding Reception in California, and on our Honeymoon Disney Cruise to Alaska for Formal Night as well as Brunch to Palo. Count it - 4 times. Most ladies just seem to want to "trash the dress" after the wedding day. That idea is sillier that Valentine's Day. I will be using tonight and hopefully to many more events in the future.

I am SUPER fortunate that one of my good friends is a Makeup Artist who is pretty great with Hair as well. Since our hot date didn't start until 8:30 (Reservations and such) I figured I had time to go get gussied up with her expertise. She is pretty awesome at what she does.

Here are some photos of Husband and I headed out to our Hot Date:






Here is some photos of our meal!







No comments:

Post a Comment