Tuesday, February 25, 2014

I can't stay away from Chinese food.

I have been on an Asian kick lately. Between the Curry and Pad Thai, of course a perfect version of a Panda Express favorite hit my radar. Here is the link to the original post.
http://addapinch.com/cooking/2014/01/07/skinny-orange-chicken-recipe/#axzz2pfHUD34V

While Panda Express deep fries the HECK out of their chicken and then puts so much sugar in the sauce it just tastes sweet, it isn't hard to love it and crave it. So I decided that this healthy version was worth a try as I love me the orange flavored chicken.

Skinny Orange Chicken Recipe
Ingredients
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 tablespoon coconut oil
¼ – ½ cup chicken stock
¼ cup honey or maple syrup
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon orange zest
½ cup fresh orange juice
1½ teaspoons Sriracha sauce
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1 pinch red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon sesame seeds for garnish, optional
Instructions
Melt coconut oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add in chicken pieces and cook until cooked through and browned, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
While chicken is cooking, stir together chicken stock, honey or maple syrup, garlic, orange zest, orange juice, coconut aminos, Sriracha sauce and red pepper flakes. Pour into heated skillet once chicken has been removed and reduce to low heat. Cook, stirring often, until sauce has been reduced and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat and pour over chicken.
To serve, spoon chicken over a bed of broccoli and then spoon on additional sauce. Top with sesame seeds, if desired.

As this recipe is for the Paleo followers out there and I am not Paleo, the coconut ingredients were not readily available in my pantry. I substituted the to coconut aminos with soy sauce as directed by Robyn, the young lade who wrote the recipe originally. Also, I used fresh ginger as I had it on hand.

This turned out well enough. I ended up just making the sauce and my friend down the road made the rest of the meal. The sauce was a bit to liquid, for my taste, but I figure that if I make the sauce and then allow the chicken to cook a little in it the flavor will stick nicely.


Here is the batch we made at my friend's house!

Also, I think I will add snap peas and water chestnuts as well as green pepper... cuz I can.

Here is what was made for Husband the other night to make his tummy happy. The Green Bell Pepper makes a huge difference!

Until the next meal...

**Today's title comes from Snowboard Olympian Shaun White, reading in full: I can't stay away from Chinese food. I really love the stuff.**

No comments:

Post a Comment