Thursday, February 27, 2014

Thirsty Thursdays Series: Mmm. Quaffable.

Not everyone likes wine. I understand this. I do like wine. A bunch. I like the subtly of smells and tastes. While I am not totally sure of all the differences, I can say that I know what type of wine I am in the mood for when the server comes round the table for drink orders or when I am at the grocery store. I have a rudimentary knowledge of the stuff.

Then there is my Husband. He knows there are wines he hasn't liked and he knows there are wines he has enjoyed with a meal or on their own. Unfortunately, his taste buds are not trained yet to be discerning in the way of what each of these wines were different or alike.

We both look forward to the day that we can go to France and enjoy the wine, location, and atmosphere. Despite this mutual dream, we both know very little about what qualities in a glass of wine we enjoy most.

Hence the reason my desire to learn about wines specifically with him.

So, as is my MO, I started planning. I know he likes both red and white, though normally goes for a red over a white. So I started gathering basic information about what make a good, dry, sweet, full bodied, etc Red. realizing the sheer number of wines we might be having to go through and that Husband and I are trying our darnedest to stay in the black, I decided to take a page out of Papa G's book and make it a $10 or less wine club. A bottle for tasting must be $10 or less (not including CRV) and we would invite other friends who like wine to join in as well as bring bottles.

I came up with a tasting chart in hopes to make our future tastings a bit easier as well as being able to reap some knowledge from the mouth adventure. The chart doesn't show up very well on this format, but hopefully it will give you an idea of what sort of information we can gather from it.

WINE NAME

WINE TYPE

VINTAGE

PRODUCER

GRAPES

REGION

PURCHASED

PRICE

Companions

Food

SIGHT




NOTES
PTS
Clarity
Cloudy (less)
Hazy
Clear
Brilliant (more)

/5
Depth of Color
Watery/Thin (less)
Pale
Med/Deep
Dark/Rich (more)

/5
Color

WHITE - Yellow
Gold Brown
Green Tinge
Pale Yellow
RED - Purple
Red/Purple
Red
Red-Brown


Vicosity – liquid
Thin
Normal
Heavy
Syrupy

/5
SMELL






Aroma

Herbal
Nutty
Fruit
Mineral
Spice
Earthy
Floral
Icky

/5
Bouquet
Dumb/Pale/Closed
Simple/Pleasant
Deep/ Dark
Powerful/Dynamic

/5
Smell Intensity
Light (less)
Mild
Prevalent
Pronounced (more)

/5
TASTE






Acidity
(like a lemon)
Flat
No Bite
Fresh
Crisp
Tart
Tangy
Sour
Vinegar

/10
Sweetness
Dry
Off-Dry
Semi-Sweet
Very Sweet

/5
TASTE
Descriptors
Balanced
Chewy
Complex
Concentrated
Crispy
Deep
Delicate
Dull
Firm
Flabby
Harsh
Hint
Intense
Intriguing
Jammy
Piercing
Simple
Soft
Structured
FRUITY
Berrylike
Blackberry
Black Currant
Blueberry
Raspberry
Strawberry
Cherry – Black/Red
Plum – Prune
Gooseberries
Citrus
Grapefruit
Lemon/Lime
Stone/Tropical
Apple
Apricot
Mango
Melon
Peach
Pear
Pineapple
FLOWERY
Violet
Rose
Orange Blossom
Jasmine
Lily
Geranium
Orchid

HERBAL
Hay
Mint
Rosemary
Thyme

SPICY
Black Pepper
Licorice
Cinnamon
Clove
NUTTY
Almond
Coffee
Hazelnut
Walnut

EARTHY
Dry leaves
Cut grass
Moldy
Mushroom

ICKY
Barnyard
Dirty Diaper
Boiled Egg
Gas
Alcohol
Flinty
Vinegar
OTHER
Buttery
Oaky
Mineral
Vanilla
Cedar
Tobacco
Chocolate
Leather
Butterscotch
Olive
Bitter
Hot - alcohol
Sour
Sharp
Sugary
Salty
Velvety






















/10
Complexity
Simple
Interesting
Exciting
Dynamic

/5
Balance
Unbalanced
Good
Very Well
Perfect

/10
Body
Light
Medium
Heavy
Huge

/5
AFTERTHOUGHTS






Finish
None
Short
Medium
Long (10 secs +)

/5
Drinkability
Never Again
Maybe
Yes
Can’t wait

/10
Value
Waste of money
Eh…
Decent
I love a value!

/10
Overall



/100

The points of this chart have nothing to do with the regular style of PTS for wine. it is simple to figure out the most drinkable/yummiest wine. This chart is definitely to get an idea of what type of wine we both enjoy, as well as our friends, which will make future wine including events much easier.

While pulling all this information together, I though back to a Chardonnay I really enjoyed at the Disneyland Resort. Unfortunately, I have no recollection of the Vineyard except that is was in California and it was the oakiest/butteriest wine my mouth has ever felt.

Thus the search for the best Oaky Buttery Chardonnay for the right price quest began. I have pulled together a list of wineries that might be able to replicate that fateful day by searching the words California/Oak/Butter/Chardonnay in the magic maker,Google.
Bernardus
Blue Fin
Bogle  
Butterfield Station 
Cakebread  
Chateau St. Michelle  
Edna Valley Vineyard  
Fetzer 
Geyser Peak 
J Lohr 
Kendall-Jackson 
La Crema 
Meridian 
Rombauer 
Smoking Loon
Sonoma Cutrer 
Stags’ Leap 
Stonestreet
Toad Hollow 
Toasted Head 
Turning Leaf
Wente

While I know it wasn't Turning Leaf or Blue Fin due to cost and availability in restaurants, I figured those both claim to have the desired Oak/Butter flavor for a most modest price.

Thus I have now begun my new series: Thirsty Thursdays.

**Today's title, appropriately, comes from the movie Sideways:
Stephanie (at Kalyra Winery, to Miles, who has just sampled the estate chardonnay she poured for him): "So what do you think?"
Miles: "Mmm. Quaffable. But, uh, far from transcendent."
Jack: "I like it. Tastes great."**

3 comments:

  1. Ooo! Clever! We're not big wine people, but we have a lot of friends that are so thinking in these terms might help us find the wines that we like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will probably put a chart together for beer as well. :) But I will need to consult my friend who write a beer blog entitled: http://www.hopeforbeer.com/ for terms, things to look for, and phrases. I will post about that in a few months hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still willingly drink Coors Light, so I am clearly not a beer snob. All the beer snobs I know like to throw around "hoppiness" and "finish" though, for what it's worth.

    ReplyDelete