Tuesday, February 11, 2014

We add sugar to this structure, which strengthens it. But things can, and do, go wrong

I made Meringues finally! As a child, this was my favorite type of cookie to get at the grocery store when we went with Mom. As a good friend of mine is Gluten Free, I figured I should make something that she could enjoy since at the Super Bowl Party, there was a whole lotta nothing that she could enjoy.
Thanks to Pinterest and the gimmesomeoven blog I found this recipe and only slightly altered it to my tastes: http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/chocolate-chip-meringue-cookies/

Chocolate Peanut Butter Meringues
Ingredients
4 egg whites - room temperature
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (crushed with tenderizing mallet)
1/2 cup peanut butter chips (crushed with tenderizing mallet)
Method
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Line baking sheet with parchment paper (I used foil, which worked but the paper would have been MUCH better)
Beat egg whites, salt, cream of tartar, and vanilla on medium/high speed until soft beaks form.
Slowly add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes.
Gently fold in chips by hand until combined.
Drop batter by heaping tablespoon-fulls onto cookie sheet.
Bake at 300 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes until cookies are cooked and slightly golden.
Turn the oven off, and let cookies cool in the oven for another 20 - 30 minutes.
Remove and serve or store in airtight container.





They didn't turn out pretty, but they turned out pretty yummy!

Considering the low calorie count, my health conscious friends like them, my sweet tooth friends liked them, and most importantly, Husband and I liked them. Now I just need to learn about the world of Piping.

Until the next meal...

**Today's title comes from Alton Brown, one of my favorites on the Food Network: A meringue is nothing but a foam. And what is a foam after all, but a bit collection of bubbles? And what's a bubble? It's basically a very flimsy little latticework of proteins draped in water. We add sugar to this structure, which strengthens it. But things can, and do, go wrong.**

No comments:

Post a Comment