Monday, January 20, 2014

Measure the corn of others...

Every couple of weeks, some of the people connected with our church will get together and have dinner and then pray for and with each other. It is rally a nice centering event. I asked what I should bring and the coordinator extraordinaire (seriously, this lady is amazing) said something to go with a bready chickeny dish. Mind you that isn't a direct quote, but that is what I took from the conversation.

So I decided to make an inexpensive, but well loved side dish:

Corn Fritter Patties
Ingredients
1 cup pancake mix
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons 2% milk
1 can (7 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
2 cups canola oil
Directions
In a small bowl, combine the pancake mix, egg and milk just until
moistened. Stir in the corn.
In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1/4 in. of oil to
375°. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into oil; press lightly to
flatten. Cook for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
Yield: 7 patties

While by no means a healthy side dish, they are yummy, filling, and inexpensive. I make my own pancake mix so this recipe is not as "what's in my food" as some other dishes of this nature. This was very well received by the whole group as were the dessert I made (those will be in another post) so mission accomplished.


Until the next meal...



**Today's title is a Yiddish Proverb reading: Measure the corn of others with your own bushel.**

No comments:

Post a Comment