Friday, January 10, 2014

I always appear smarter when I dress up...

As I have yet to write about food this week, I decided to continue with that trend until Saturday morning Breakfast.

Today's topic is going to pertain to one of my favorite things: Cosplay

**Please note that the photos below are not the best representations of some of my past costumes, but that is simply because I hadn't gotten serious about photographing them until very recently.**

What's with the all the boobs?


My dear Mr Patton once asked me: "what's with all the big chested women on your Facebook feed?"
I laughed, explained what all the boobs were about, and clarified that it was a legitimate hobby.

Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia to sum it up:
Cosplay short for "costume play", is a performance art in which participants wear costumes and accessories to represent a specific character or idea. Cosplayers often interact to create a subculture centered on role play. A broader use of the term cosplay applies to any costumed role play in venues apart from the stage, regardless of the cultural context.
Favorite sources include manga, anime, comic books, video games, and films. Any entity from the real or virtual world that lends itself to dramatic interpretation may be taken up as a subject. Inanimate objects are given anthropomorphic forms and it is not unusual to see genders switched, with women playing male roles and vice versa. There is also a subset of cosplay culture centered on sex appeal, with cosplayers specifically choosing characters that are known for their attractiveness and/or revealing costumes.
The Internet has enabled many cosplayers to create social networks and websites centered on cosplay activities, while forums allow cosplayers to share stories, photographs, news, and general information. The rapid growth in the number of people cosplaying as a hobby since 1990 has made the phenomenon a significant aspect of popular culture. This is particularly the case in Asia, where cosplay influences Japanese street fashion.

To elaborate from my own personal experience:
I have cosplayed at all the Science Fiction/Fantasy Conventions I have attended. I go with characters I like, connect with and, at least slightly, resemble. The costumes I have made are normally done with found pieces at thrift stores with the occasional specific piece or prop purchased from online.

My first convention was Arcon which is the St Louis, MO Fantasy/SciFi Convention back in 2007
I went as a pirate, the same costume I often wear to Ren Faires, with my best friend Scotty B.


After moving to California, I had the chance to attend several years of
San Diego Comic-Con International.

July 2010

Inara (From Firefly)


Kaylee (From Firefly)


Callie Henderson (From Battlestar Galatica)



Zoe Greystone (From Caprica)



July 2011

Callie Henderson (From Battlestar Galatica) again same as 2010
Kaylee (From Firefly) again same as 2010

July 2012

Black Canary (From Birds of Prey)


**This costume and the Roxy Richter Costume made me understand the need to a good quality wig**

Roxy Richter (From Scott Pilgrim Vs The World – Graphic Novel)

Kitty Pryde (From The Xmen)

Kaylee (From Firefly) didn't get a good photo from this year unfortunately. 

July 2013

Black Canary (From Birds of Prey)


Kaylee (From Firefly)


Roxy Richter (From Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - Movie)



I also attended Wondercon in April 2013 as Black Canary.



Being the Whovian I am, I cosplayed to the Simulcast of The Day of the Doctor as a gender bend version of Captain Jack(ie) Harkness (from Doctor Who and Torchwood) in November of 2013

**Need to get a better Jacket for this Cosplay**

Halloween is also a favorite holiday of mine due to the love of costuming. Here are some gems from Halloweens past:

Lucy (From Peanuts)

Mary Poppins 


Peter Pan 


What's coming up next?

The next convention I am attending is PAX (the Penny Arcade Expo) in Boston Spring 2014. As this is specifically a gaming convention, so my Firefly and Comic costumes won't be as well received at this convention. So I have been brain storming some good video game choices that fit into the guidelines: characters I enjoy, connect with and, at least slightly, resemble. Also, as this convention is in Boston, I need to take something warm enough and easy to pack. 

Here were my initial thoughts:
Roxy Richter from Scott Pilgrim Vs the World  - An obvious choice as I already have the completed costume, it is comfortable, and it is the only cosplay I have that fits the all the guidelines I have made for this convention.


Vault Girl from Fall Out - If I can find a reasonably priced blue jump suit that fits me well, I would be all over this cosplay. I am keep an eye out for a utilitarian looking navy blue shirt, skirt, dress, pants etc to attempt this little beauty. I have played through most of these games so feel confident with the idea of cosplaying it.



Blocker Lemming from Lemmings - I have only played this game a few times, but I like the originality of this cosplay. I think that the people who would recognize it would go a bit bananas over it. If I try to replicate the costume, it would for sure be comfortably warm and, as there are no large props, it would be easy to pack.



Black Mage from Final Fantasy - For those of you who don't know me, I am incredibly short. I have always imagined this character as a short, squat little guy. One of the main appeals of this cosplay is that I could possible dual purpose the blue robe for both the Lemming costume and this one. The only Hitch is packing the hat and staff. I might do this for a local convention versus one I have to take an airplane to attend.


Princess Daisy from Mario Brothers - I think I would play with this character a bit. Maybe update the yellow dress to my yellow sundress and add an orange belt and the headband/crown. Essentially, take the character and dress myself in the current fashion as said character.

Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite - This character is my favorite. I love her personality and outfits. The major reason I don't think I will do this for PAX is because she is such a popular cosplay already. I like to do things that are recognizable, but aren't so hot that there will be 2,500 other girls cosplaying the character. Another thought could be doing the Film Noir Themed Burial at Sea Elizabeth and dress Husband like and Film Noir Detective that resembles Booker in Bio Shock Infinite (you don't really get a good visage of Booker in the Burial at Sea Episode).


Zoey from Left 4 Dead - I have played this game a few times and really enjoy it. One reason this costume will probably happen is because I can borrow the costume from my friend who used it last year at Comic-Con and it fits the guidelines of this convention.

Tine Tina from Borderlands - As perfect as this costume and character is for me, it is way too much stuff to put together and then have to pack and travel to the east coast. So this is one that is on the back burner until I get my sewing machine up and working as well as my confidence in using it. 


My final thoughts for PAX are sitting with the following:
Roxy Richter - Because she is already done
Zoey - Because she is already done
Princess Daisy - Because I think she won't be too difficult to piece together and easy enough to reuse at the next convention.
(And Maybe) Vault Girl - Because I really, really, really like the character. I think I could pin up the character with a navy blue pencil skirt, a yellow belt, plus a pin up appropriate blue top with the numbers placed on the back could work. Though perhaps not proper as I will have to walk 1.5 miles to the convention center. 


Until the next cosplay...


**Today's title comes from the ever hilarious Jarod Kintz from his book It Occurred to Me. the full quote reads thus: I always appear smarter when I dress up in my giant nipple costume. I know this because I'll over hear people say things like, "At least he's not a complete boob".**

To view more ideas and inspirations for my cosplays, see my actually Pinterest Board.
http://www.pinterest.com/catharine_ceb/comicon-reference/

No comments:

Post a Comment