Wednesday, January 8, 2014

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies...

After having lost my Kindle on this past trip, I have been mourning the loss of all my free titles I had downloaded, yet STILL have yet to read. I marvel at how numerous the free classic titles are thanks to the Guggenheim Foundation. So I figured I needed to pull together a list of books to read before I die. These titles, 145 in total, a collaboration of several lists of top 100 books to read.

Are you There God? It’s Me Margaret
As I Lay Dying
Atlas Shrugged
Atonement
Beloved
Beowulf
Brave New World
Brideshead Revisted
Bridget Jones Diary
Candide
Catch-22
Charlotte’s Web
Collected Works of Austen
Collected Works of Chekhov
Collected Works of Ibsen
Collected Works of Moliere
Collected Works and Sonnets of Shakespeare
Common Sense
Crime and Punishment
Dangerous Liaison
David Copperfield
Deliverance
Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde
Doctor Zhivago
Don Quixote
Dracula
Electra
Fahrenheit 451
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Frankenstein
Franny and Zooey
Gilead
Gone with the Wind
Grapes of Wrath
Great Expectations
Great Gatsby
Gulliver’s Travels
Heart of Darkness
His Dark Materials
Jane Eyre
Lady Chatterley’s Lover
Le Morte d’Arthur
Legends of the Fall
Les Miserables
Life of Pi
Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe
Little Women
Lolita
Look Homeward, Angel
Lord of the Flies
Lord of the Rings
Madame Bovary
Mathilda
Medea
Mein Kampf
Middlemarch
Moby Dick
Mrs Dalloway
Naked Lunch
Never Let Me Go
Oedipus Rex
Of Mice and Men
On the Road
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
One Hundred Years of Silence
One Thousand and One Arabian Nights
Peter Pan
Phaedra
Ragtime
Robinson Crusoe
Siddhartha
Six Characters in Search of an Author
Slaughterhouse-Five
Sophie’s Choice
St Joan
Starship Troopers
The Adventures of Augie March
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Age of Innocence
The Art of War
The Awakening
The Bell Jar
The Blind Assassin
The Bridge of San Luis Rey
The Brothers Karamazov
The Call of the Wild
The Canterbury Tales
The Catcher in the Rye
The Color Purple
The Confessions of Nat Turner
The Constitution of the USA
The Count of Monte Cristo
The Divine Comedy
The Fountainhead
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
The Hobbit
The Hound of Baskervilles
The Interpretation of Dreams by Sigmund Freud
The Invisible Man
The Joy Luck Club
The Jungle
The Killer Angels
The Last of the Mohicans
The Metamorphosis
The Odyssey
The Old man and the Sea
The Picture of Dorian Gray
The Portrait of the Lady
The Postman Always Rings Twice
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
The Red Badge of Courage
The Scarlet Letter
The Sun also Rises
The Three Musketeers
The Time Machine
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
The Wind in the Willows
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
To Kill a Mocking Bird
Tom Jones
Treasure Island
Uncle Tom’s Cabin
Vanity Fair
Waiting for Godot
Walden
War and Peace
War of the Worlds
Watership Down
Wuthering Heights

The titles struck out are ones that I have read already.  This is something I will need feedback on. What titles did I miss? Any titles that shouldn't be on this list?

Having finalized my 30 before 30 list, the classic I have kept putting off that I am pledging to read before my 30th birthday is Wuthering Heights.

Until the next book...


**Today's title comes from the mouth of Jojen from Dance with Dragons from George R.R. Martin with the full quote reading: A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads only lives one.**





UPDATED 1/9/2014
Here are the titles that were suggested to be added
1984 (This was suppose to be on the list, not sure how I missed it on the draft that made it to print)
A Tale of Two Cities
Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass
Donna Andrews Mysteries
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff
Edgar Allen Poe Collected Poetry
Ender's Game
Harry Potter Series
His Dark Materials Trilogy
Inferno
Janet Evanovich Mysteries
Never Let Me Go
Paradise Lost 
Sirens of Titan
Speaker for the Dead
Stranger in a Strange Land
Selected Works of Edgar Allen Poe - The Cask of Amontillado
                             The Fall of the House of Usher
                             The Masque of the Red Death
                             The Pit and the Pendulum
                             The Tell-Tale Heart
The Best Science Fiction of Isaac Asimov - I, Robot
The Book Thief
The Giver (the subsequent sequels)
The Historian
The Iliad
The Poisonwood Bible
The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit
The Red Tent
Ulysses


Further Updated: 1/22/2014
Other Books I have come across that I think I should read:
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Glass Castle
Kite Runner
The Wanderer’s Necklace
Bossypants
The Princess Bride
Everything is Illuminated
Things Fall Apart
The Handmaid’s Tale
The Murder on the Orient Express
American Gods
I know Why the Caged Bird Sings
A Brief History of Time

The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind

And this is a reference list for as I liked hunger games, I should like these titles:
Peter and the Starcatchers
Divergent
Uglies
Matched
Lightning Thief
Life as We Knew It
Bar Code Tattoo
Cinder
Among the Hidden
The Eleventh Plague
Dark Life
The City of Ember
Promised
Scorpio raced
Midnighters
Maze runner
Legend
Partials
Birthmarked



2 comments:

  1. 1984 recently won an informal poll/contest as best SciFi/Fantasy novel ever.

    Just sayin'.
    I think it beats the tar out of The Time Machine.

    Also don't know how I feel about Shakespeare being on a reading list.
    Poetry... yeah, okay, (BTW, no Paradise Lost or Inferno? What about Odyssey or Illiad? If you are going back, go WAY back... get some Gilgamesh up in this joint! jk), but the plays are written to be heard... not read.

    Other notable omissions, IMO:
    Alice/Looking Glass
    His Dark Materials Trilogy (mebbe ah'm smokin' something on this one)
    Lord of the Rings Trilogy
    And although I haven't read it, Ulysses should sure as hell be on the list before 2 Ayn Ran books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I intended 1984, Dante's Inferno, and Paradise Lost to all be on this list! Somehow failed to get them properly up. The Odyssey is represented, but forgot to put the Iliad up on it.

    I didn't think of Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass or His Dark Materials. I also had meant LOTR/Hobbit to make it on too. I will put Ulysses on the list, but I have read other things James Joyce and it is a bit much for me when I last read him.

    Thank you for your suggestions, bro bro!

    ReplyDelete