Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Come on down to the street and dance with me!

While on our trip to Brazil, I noticed that a popular treat there was Bacon Popcorn. It was sold on many of the street corners in Curitiba along with Caramel Popcorn. I never had a good chance to try it out, but I decided that I would make it when I returned home. Here is what I found on All Recipes.

Brazilan Bacon Popcorn
Ingredients
½ cup bacon grease
½ cup unpopped popcorn kernels
½ teaspoon seasoned salt (to taste)
2 tablespoons bacon bits (optional)
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
Method
Measure the bacon grease into a 6 quart pot and place over high heat.
Add one or two popcorn kernels as testers. 
When the test kernels pop, add the rest of the popcorn and cover with a lid. 
As the popcorn starts to pop, shake the pan back and forth constantly to keep the unpopped kernels on the bottom where they can pop. 
When the popping slows down, remove the pan from the heat and let it finish popping.
Pour the popcorn into a large bowl or paper sack.
Season with half of the seasoned salt and stir.
Taste before adding more salt if desired.
Toss with bacon bits and shredded Cheddar cheese for an extra special treat.
Store leftovers in lunch sacks or sandwich bags...if there is any.

So I made "third" order of this simply because if there is popcorn, I will eat it. ...And I didn't get enough bacon drippings.


It was decent. I think there was enough flavour just from the drippings, it didn't need all the cheese and bacon pieces.

While doing the research necessary for this recipe, I began thinking about street food in the States I have yet to try. The LA tradition I keep seeing but never eating is what is affectionately called an LA Danger Dog. They are often sold on small carts near bars and concert venues until the wee hours of the morning...and they smell amazing.
This is how it breaks down:
LA Danger Dog
It is a hot dog, wrapped with a slice of Bacon. fried up to juicy, crisp deliciousness...
Grill up some onion, tomato, bell pepper, and jalapeno.
Toast the bun and then dress with Ketchup, Mustard, and Mayo.
(Husband is not a Mayo fan, so that didn't make it on)
Apply hot dog bacon yum yum.
Top with onion/pepper mixutre.
Pray to the Heartburn Gods you survive this.


As you can see above, I did it all on the George Foreman. 


This was the healthiest Danger Dog I will ever eat. It was delicious and I have every  intention to think back on this meal with affection. Husband liked it too.

Until the next meal...

**Today's title is from Weezer's hit song El Scorcho with the lyrics reading: Why you wanna go and do me like that? Come on down to the street and dance with me!**

No comments:

Post a Comment