Friday, December 6, 2013

I'll be outside for the season.

Husband and I have decked out halls this week!

For my first time ever, we went to "a choose and cut your own" Christmas Tree farm. I grew up with a REALLY nice fake tree so the idea of taking care of live tree kind of intimidates me.

Here we are in front of our tree before we killed it:


And now here it is, mounted in all it's glory in our home:


We thought it looked a bit dull so we added a few more things to it:


Yes, I know, we need a tree topper. You can't see it, but there is a star ornament on the top of the tree. I am working on making a tree topper for next year. I might just make a construction paper topper of Mickey Ears though on Saturday.

I saw a really cool Advent Calendar at Pottery Barn (for $75!!) which I decided to recreate with a Dollar Store Garland, some Dollar Store Mini Stockings, and a splash of paint. Total cost: $7! Now I just need to get the chocolates/toys to go into them. Note how high it is hung. This simply means that Husband gets to eat the majority of the candies once it gets loaded up.


We decided to be like his parents and have a small tree in the front window with the larger tree with presents further back in the house so we use my mini tree from college (Thank you, Auntie). Unfortunately, it is not lit so you can't see it in all it's true beauty.


I got some good looking wrapping paper, glued it on to some card stock, then drew and painted the little Mickey with the Santa hat to make a Disney themed holiday piece. I will probably be making a Doctor Who themed piece for the other picture frame.


And, of course, our entrance way...



Complete with fresh wreath (again, Thank you, Auntie!)



So those are the highlights of our home for this season. Hope it helps to get y'all into the Christmas Spirit!


**Today's title comes Husband's favorite Holiday movie, National Lampoon: Christmas Vacation with the complete quote reading: Well, I'm gonna park the cars and get the luggage, and well, I'll be outside for the season. **

No comments:

Post a Comment