Monday, December 9, 2013

Cut my pie into four pieces.

I don't make pumpkin pies. I go to enough people's homes that serve them and/or have them at functions and work that I don't really every feel like having it at home.

This year, there was a noticeably LACK of pumpkin in my life. My Best Friend brought one for dinner in October, and we have a yummy pumpkin delight cupcake sort of this at our Thanksgiving celebration, but other than that...nada.

So I ended up making one this year. Having never made one at home prior, I was at a loss of where to start. I have several recipes from my Grandma so I looked over those and then looked a bit online and, of course, Pinterest.

As my SOP goes, I looked at the ingredients and figured that I would go with the recipe I had to buy the LEAST amount of new ingredients.

I still had an extra pie crust as I got the two pack for the Kahlua Pecan Pie for our Thanksgiving dinner so the only thing I had to buy was the cream cheese.

Now I know that there has been quite a bit of negative media about Paula Deen as of late. I hope you all have done your research about the matter and know that the way Paula isbeing painted by the media is completely off base. Also, that all the charges have been dismissed by a sound and honorable judge.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/23/paula-deen-lawsuit-dismissed_n_3806580.html

That being said, here is her most delectable of pies (only slightly altered by me):
Paula Deen's (and a little bit me) Pumpkin Pie
Ingredients
1 (8 oz) package of cream cheese, softened
2 cans pumpkin, mashed
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg plus 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 cup half and half
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 premade pie crust
Whipped cream, for garnish
Method:
Beat cream cheese with hand mixer.
Add pumpkin and beat until well combined
Add Sugar and salt and beat until well combined
Add eggs mixed with yolks, half and half, and melted butter, and beat until well combined.
Finally add vanilla, cinnamon, and ginger and beat until incorporated.
Pour the filling into the pie crust and bake for 50 minutes.
Place pie on wire rack and cool to room temperature, cut into slices and top each with whipped cream.



Until the next meal...

**Today's title comes from Yogi Berra. The full quote is as follows: Cut my pie into four pieces, I don't think I could eat eight.**

No comments:

Post a Comment