Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Georgia shoemakers are tasty.

Check it out, Husband LOVES cobblers. Me, unless my berries are soaked in chocolate or alcohol, I really don't care one. I don't turn my nose up when they show up on my creme brulee, but, really, cooked berries, not my thing. I think Husband is confused by that a bit as they truly seem to be his favorite type of dessert. He likes them so much that the only time I have felt jealous towards another woman (albeit a minuet amount of jealousy) is when I know she makes a cobbler that Husband loves.

The other thing about me and cobblers is that while I don't care for them, neither does my family. We rarely had them when I was growing up. It was cookies, cake, or ice cream of dessert. I, also, am not much of a baker. I know it is just following a recipe, but as some people may have noticed, I don't like to stick strictly to the recipe. 

To get over my fear of making a cobbler and to reinstate my confidence, I decided to make one. If I failed, whatever. If I succeeded, cool, but really whatever. I know this isn't a big deal at all. 

I turned to the lady of rustic deliciousness: The Pioneer Woman! She had two different blackberry cobbler recipes, so, as per usual, I went with the one that I need to buy less new ingredients. So Blackberry Cobbler #2 it was. 


Blackberry Cobbler (less cake, more fruit)
Ingredients
6 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
1/2 cup plus 4 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 whole zest of a lemon
2 cup of flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 table spoon baking powder
1/4 cup shortening
4 tablespoons butter
1 whole egg
1/2 cup milk
Method
Preheat oven to 425
Combine blackberries, 1/2 cup sugar, lemon juice, and zest in a mixing bowl and stir and spread into a buttered Pryex dish.
In a separate bowl, pour flour, salt, baking powder, and 1 tablespoon of sugar.
Add shortening and butter and work mixture together with a pastry blender until the mixture is corse.
Measure 1/2 cup milk, add an egg, and mix together.
Pour into flour mixture, stirring as you go.
Mixture would be smooth and not dry, but not overly sticky.
Take clumps of dough and place on top of the blackberries.
lightly flatten dough with your fingertips. 
Sprinkle the 2 - 3 tablespoons of sugar and bake until golden (about 30 minutes).



This dessert turned out very good. I think that I needed to add a little more sugar on top of the crust top, but it turned out to be a nice balance of tart and sweet. I love tart things so I think I will try something like it again.

I made this the day our Honeymoon Extravaganza Friends of Awesome (HEFAs for short) came to dinner. We met them on the Disney Cruise which we did for our Honeymoon in June and have been keeping up with them thanks to the wonder that is Facebook. They live in Arizona and they were in our neck of the woods for Universal and Disneyland. So, of course, we have them over for dinner! I received confirmation from them that is was yummy as well. 

So there it is: HEFA Tested. Husband Approved.


Until the next meal...



**Today's title comes from Jarod Kintz from At even on penny, this book would be overpriced. In fact, free is too expensive, because you'd still waste time by reading it. The full quote being simply thus: I love peach cobbler. Georgia shoemakers are tasty.**

No comments:

Post a Comment