Monday, December 16, 2013

Love is tender...

IF you have read the last few posts, you will quickly notice that all the things I made these last few weeks: Bacon Appetizers, Blackberry Cobbler, and today's Pot Roast, are all from The Pioneer Woman. I am on a sort of down home cooking kick right now, so most of her recipes hit the spot right now. I, also, enjoy her conversational nature and the spunky attitude she exudes in her writing. I am looking forward to the day that I can be as confident and prolific in the kitchen as she.

IF y'all are reading the posts diligently, you will have learned by now that our HEFAs were in town for dinner and we had a blast. We got to view the video they had made from our cruise with several appearances of Husband and I. Super fun! Especially because I know how I look when I dance down the Route 66 map on the Disney Wonder. I struggled a bit over what to make for when they came over so I went with something I know that Husband will never say no to: Pot Roast.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/09/2008_the_year_of_the_pot_roast/

The Perfect Pot Roast
Ingredients
1 whole pot roast She suggested a 4-5 pounds. We had a 3.4 for 5 people and we have TONS of left overs)
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
2 whole onions
6 -8 whole carrots
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1 cup red wine (or sub extra beef broth)
2-3 cups of beef stock
3 sprigs fresh thyme
3 sprigs fresh rosemary

Method
To prep meat, rub (generously) with salt and then pepper.
Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
Then add 2-3 tablespoons of oil (or butter/oil split)
Cut onions in half and when oil is very hot (but not smoking), add onion halves.
Brown onions on both sides.
Remove onions to a plate.
Throw carrots into the same very hot pan.
Toss them around until slightly browned (You aren't cooking them, just browning lightly) then remove to plate.
If needed add a little more oil to very hot pan. place meat into pan and sear for a minute on all sides, until nicely browned all over.
Remove roast to plate.
With burner still on high, use either red wine or beef broth to deglaze the pan, scrapping the bottom with a whisk to get all the yummy bits up.
When bottom is deglazed, place roast back into the pan.
Add enough beef stock to cover meat halfway (2-3 cups)
Add onions and carrots as well as herbs to pot.
Put on lid then roast in a 275 oven for 1 hour per pound.

This as good. I have only ever made Pot Roast in the slow cooker so I was a bit worried about it drying out, but this turned out super yummy. Plus, I have all the things to make more Cottage Pie if I want. I went of recipe only slightly this time. instead of using fresh herb, I put a teaspoon of each in a tea satchel and threw it in the bottom of the pot. It work very nicely, but the dish then lacked the bit of presentation.
Also, instead of doing the one piece of meat, I cut up the large cut into a few pieces and seared each piece. It as easier for serving, and, no, it didn't dry out.

We served this dish separated into different plates for serving, mainly because we had a 10 year old at table with us. We also had some homemade mashed potatos with the Au Jus reserved to the side. Next time I will make a gravy with that Au Jus, super yummy.

Note: I forgot to take a photo the night we actually ate it. Here is a photo of a sandwich Husband made with the leftover meat and onions.



Until the next meal...

** Today's title is again from Jarod Kintz, from Love quotes for the ages. Specifically ages 18 - 81. The full quote reading: Love is tender, like the pot roast I'm keeping warm in my shoes.**

No comments:

Post a Comment