Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Facts must be faced.

As mentioned in a prior post, you will be seeing a lot of soups up on the blog from here until Easter probably. Today's gift is from my MiL's excellent arsenal of delish recipes.

Last year, Husband (then Fiance) asked me to make soup from the turkey carcass. I willing obliged as long as he asked his mother for a recipe he knew he liked. She sent us the Turkey Broth Recipe and this little gem: Garden Soup.

When I first made this soup, I was inclined to think I was not going to like it. I don't really enjoy tomato soups (I have slight allergy) as well as I don't care for Lima beans or (cooked) carrots. How wrong I was. I love this veggie filled soup. I have no problem enjoying this soup despite the fact that I still eat around the carrots (it's a texture thing, not flavor).

This year, we changed it up this year and decided the put in some green beans which turned out VERY good. I have dropped a bit of spinach in my personal bowl as well as Husband this spinach wilted in a soup is a bit odd. I think some form of peas wouldn't go amiss as well as maybe some asparagus. Pretty much add or take out any veggie that suites your tastes.

Garden Soup
Ingredient's
2 cans (29 oz total) of chicken broth (or 4 cups of homemade turkey broth)
2 cans (24 oz total) of tomato juice
1.5 cups of chopped chicken (or the turkey you salvaged from when you made the broth)
1 (12 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (10 oz) package frozen Lima beans, thawed
2 small potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
1.5 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 bay leaf
3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Method:
Combine all the ingredients in a large Dutch oven or soup pot. Bring to a boil.
Cover and reduce heat.
When it have come down to a simmer, add the bird meat.
Simmer for 1 hour, covered (stirring occasionally)
Remove bay leaf and enjoy.




**Today's title comes from Peg Bracken from The Compleat I Hate to Cook Book with the full quote reading: Facts must be faced. Vegetables simply don't taste as good as most other things do.**

No comments:

Post a Comment