Tuesday, July 29, 2014

How to Make a Cosplay: Hiccup

As you all know, I enjoyed Comic-Con 2014 this past month. I wanted to give y'all an idea of what it took to take an idea from spark in my mind to reality.

An Example


First off: I cut my hair for Wigs for Kids in late March and ended up loving it. After a couple days, I suddenly realized that most of my cosplays were created around what I could do with my long brown hair. "Uh, Oh" I thought... I figured that my hair would grow out enough for Captain Jackie Harkness and Roxy Richter has a wig. I figured I could do lady Mario again, but I wanted to pull out something new this year. So I brainstormed and though of Hiccup from How to Train Your Dragon (thanks to best friend whose favorite movie is said film). 

This is the picture I used for inspiration/a guide.
First off, I started hitting the thrift stores. I found a long sleeved, olive tunicish shirt for $6 (50% off day so $3). On another trip, I found boots for $9 (40% off so let's say $5). Unfortunately, the boots are size 8s. I wear size 6s at most normally. So an insert or two, plus an extra pair of socks were needed to wear them. I then hit up Joann's and got the fur for $14 (30% off so $10), lining for $4, and light brown felt for $3. Then came the hard part...construction: 

Using tissue paper, I created the vest pattern.
Using chalk, I outlined the vest on the pricey fur fabric.

I had a sash belt which I attached the felt to in order to make the belt.

The boot cuff was sewn to the sock to keep it in place while walking the Convention floor.
I used olive oil to dye the boots a different color (there was a stain on right toe that needed covering up).

COST

Shirt - $3
Pants - Already owned
Boots - $5
Felt - $3
Fur - $10
Lining - $4

TIME

Shirt (30 minutes)
Hemming slits cut- 20 minutes
Adding strings - 10 minutes

Pants (10 minutes)
Adding lace up detail to side - 10 minutes

Vest (3 hours)
Perfecting Pattern - 45 minutes
Cutting and basting lining for initial example- 30 minutes
Cutting and pinning fur to lining - 30 minutes
Sewing Vest together - 1 hour 15 minutes

Boots (20 minutes - active work)
Dying boots a darker color - 20 minutes

Socks/Cuffs (40 Minutes)
Cutting and designing pattern - 10 minutes
Sewing and hemming fur to socks - 25 minutes

Belt (20 minutes)
Cut and pin felt to belt - 10 minutes 
Sewing felt to sash belt - 10 minutes 


Total Cost - $25 dollars / Total Time 5 hours

So the main costume was a deal when it came to cost and, though the time frame was about what I expected, I am very happy with my first sewing project with my mother's machine.


Horned Helm and Shield 

A lesson in paper mache.


I thought everything was going super until Bro Bro pointed out that I didn't have a Horned Helm. 
Just look at that thing...how can I compete with that?
Thanks to Pinterest, I gathered some decent ideas of how to do a Paper Mache helmet. Most suggested using a wig head form thing or a balloon for the base. I didn't have either at home so I got experimental and made head form from tinfoil, duct tape, and gaffers tape. 

Now the aliens can't get into my brain!
I paper mached a skull cap, for all intends and purposes, from my super awesome head form, letting the firt layer dry atop the form itself to keep the right shape. I then gave it 2 more layers (allowing drying time in between each layer) of paper mache as well as a layer of Mod Podge Outdoor sealer stuff to ensure that it would with stand a day of being worn at Con and all the bumps and sweat it would undergo.

So Much Hot Glue!

I then crafted horn outlines with cardboard and, using gaffers tape again (thanks Husband and your career in lighting), I filled them out with newspaper. I then added 2 layers of paper mache (again, allowing drying time in between each layer) around each horn as well as a layer of Mod Podge Outdoor sealer stuff and then attached the horns to my skull cap.

Then, I hot glued the horns on, holding each horn in place while the hot glue cooled. After the horns were hot glued on, I paper mached around them at the base to secure them extra. Using cardboard, I made the rim/form on the armor on the helm.


Metal Casing...aka cardboard.

I then paper mached over the form and then hot glued rope around then base of the horns and paper mached over it to give the feeling of mounting for them. I then painted the heck out of the helm and sealed it again with Mod Podge and then added felt in the inside of the hat to keep it comfy. 

Making it work...



Check out this stuff!

I also made a shield. I used 4 layers of cardboard, glued together with wood glue and then pressed for several hours with heavy books. I then paper mached 3 layers (focusing on making the edge smooth and look like one piece) as well as a layer of Mod Podge Outdoor sealer stuff. 

DJ helped me do the outline.

 Primed it white, drew the design, and painted in with several coats of acrylic paint and, again, Mod Podge sealed it up

Looking good!
For the hand/arm holds, I covered cardboard with fabric, form arm loops out of them, then hot glued the holds to the back of the shield. I am pretty stoked with how it has come out even though I decided to not lug it around the Con.

I let things dry in the Bathroom. What?

There will hopefully be a photo shoot for this cosplay in August with Kris. More photos to come.:)






1 comment:

  1. U R awesome.
    Your (eventual) kids will have the best Halloween costumes ever.

    ReplyDelete