Friday, July 25, 2014

A nearly perfect recipe (IMHO) for Chocolate Chip Cookies

So I really like Chocolate Chip cookies. Specifically, homemade ones. Husband really likes a recipe his mom (my MiL) has perfected over the years. For me, it has too much shortening. Normally, I make her recipe with half butter and half butter flavored shortening to make it a pretty decent cookie. Yet, for some weird reason, this week I dug deeper and attempting to figure out the best way to make a cookie to my taste preferences. Using this pin, I configured my attempts at making the best cookie for my taste buds. I decided to add extra flour, use both leaveners, and refrigerate the dough for 24 hours.

My somewhat perfected Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

Ingredients:
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (5 ounces or 142 grams) all-purpose flour (Instead 2 cups)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (Instead 1/4 teaspoon baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda.)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 large egg
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
directions:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with nonstick baking mats or parchment paper.
In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
In the bowl of an electric mixer beat the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla, beating well to combine. Gradually beat in the flour mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips. (OPTIONAL: Refrigerate dough for 24 hours) Scoop 1 1/2 tablespoon-sized balls and place onto prepared baking sheets.
Bake for 9 to 11 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.








After making them, I think that I will be adding only 1/2 a cup extra of flour. This batch didn't spread at all which Husband didn't seem to like as much.

1 comment:

  1. If Adam likes the cookie to spread, then you also should probably go back to adding some baking powder instead of all soda, right? (I may have that backwards)
    Plus make sure that is a sloppyspilly 1/2 tsp of Vanilla, imo.
    Additional option, besides refrigerating for a mere 24 hours, just leave it in there and eat dough whenever desired.

    ReplyDelete