Thursday, July 10, 2014

Why the nature of society stinks right now...

I got a swanky new Ukulele for my birthday last spring.

It is super pretty and I really love playing it. I even want to try to play it at church, but standing and playing is a little hard on the muscles in my arms I don't have yet. So I decided to order an ukulele sound hole strap from Etsy to assist with the weight as well as keep it away from body for a much more pleasant and fuller sound.

I ordered it and then about 3 days later, I got a conversation message from the lady whose store I ordered from. She explained her father had past away and had not been able to turn off or pause her store while she was in mourning. She apologized a few times in the brief email and explained she would get it out today if I was still interested.

I wrote her back words of empathy and understanding. I let her know of my lose and that I could sympathize with her loss and that with time it would get easier to bear it. I told her she could wait on getting my order out if there was still a lot to do while for the family. I then apologized if I spoke out of turn by volunteering my prayers and thoughts.

An hour or so after I sent my reply, I received another communication from the vendor. Which went like this:

Thank you so much for your kindness. I was preparing to be chewed out, so your compassion was an unexpected kindness that I will never forget. Your order will go out this afternoon. I have learned important lessons from this experience:


1. I must check the emails, every day, or have someone else check them when religion prohibits it (we aren't supposed to do any work during the seven days following the death of a parent, spouse, or child).



2. That there are still wonderful, compassionate, forgiving persons like yourself in the world. I will try to pass it forward every day of my life.



Thanks again, you've had a major and very positive impact in my life at a very difficult time.



Your order should arrive in less than a week, and my other buyers have been quite satisfied with this ukulele strap. I've purchased several myself and use them every day, it makes playing much easier. Please let me know if you have any issues or concerns.



Bless you and have a wonderful day

I am astounded that she had to feel like she was going to be chewed to out. Any Etsy store I have dealt with in the past has been one single person or at most a duo or friend or family. Why in the world has the business world (esp in the world of small business) forgotten that personal tragedy is a completely legitimate reason? It reminds me of the story about the woman who was irate that she didn't get service over Thanksgiving.

We live in such an entitled, instant gratification, and thankless world. It breaks my heart. I try to express my gratitude to people, especially in customer service, every time I come into contact with them. I empathize if I can tell they are having a rough or bad day. I try to be genuinely interested in their well being.

I think that the saying All You Need Is Love can be very true when it comes to day to day interactions. Just give a little and you will receive it back in 10 fold. 


Truth.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Even while I am on my high horse thinking about all the good karma I send out, I think of the few times I haven't been as understanding. I did get stupid passive aggressive the other day at a store when the clerk was trying to tell me I couldn't use to coupons in one transaction, when I clearly said I could on both coupons. I wasn't upset about the coupon not being on the transaction, I was upset that the clerk was making up an excuse (an extreme version would be "lying") to me. I don't think that she knew why they weren't working, nor did I. Just don't try to smoke screen a long time clerk with cashier jargon. It doesn't settle well. I, of course, went on to have many hours of guilt over this little outburst and have sworn to be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment