Thursday, July 3, 2014

Why I cook.

Why I Cook


Why do I make the choice to cook more often than not? I mean, I live in a country where there are such things as freezer meals, fast food, and take away as well as the plethora of restaurants that are but 3-5 blocks down the street. Why, oh why, would I CHOOSE to spend at least 30 minutes in the kitchen most evenings?

Simple.

For me, cooking, baking, and food preparation is much more than a chore.

It is an act of love.

It is what my mother did.
It is what Husband's mother does.
Baked goods at Christmas beats out most $5-$10 gift card in my book.

It is tradition.
It honors family, friends, and acquaintances.
It satiates the soul, body, and heart.

On the other side of the coin, it is an act of control and power.
I get to choose what goes in and what stays out.
I assert myself as the cook of the household because I care what goes into our bodies, be it a green salad to a brownie heavy with butter.
Everyone needs to eat, so it is an easy out of having to do something I don't already like.

But mainly, I just really like it.

I have been posting about food and cooking since October, and only twice have I "not felt like cooking".
Furthermore, of those two evenings  I "didn't felt like cooking", only one of the I didn't actually cook. I then felt so much remorse over it because it was the first time since we had been married that Husband ate something "Heat In Skillet" for dinner. I know, silly, but these are where my concerns lie.

I cook because it is a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment