Friday, July 11, 2014

And there's an "I" in meat pie. Anagram of meat is team... I don't knowwhat he's talking about.

I have made all sorts of of different meat "pies": Cottage (beef), Shepherd's (lamb), and now I have made Swineherder's Pie (pork)!

The recipe is simple enough.
Ingredients
2 cups vegetable stock
2 carrots, diced
1 cup peas
1 yellow squash, diced
3 cups shredded pork
Salt and Pepper
4 potatoes, boiled and mashed with a bit of salt and cream
1/2 cup cheddar cheese  
Method
Combine carrot, peas, squash, and pork together and season with salt and pepper.
Simmer with stock over medium heat for 8 -10 minutes. 
Put in casserole dish.
Spread mashed potatoes over pork and veggies.
Sprinkle cheese over potatoes and, using a fork, create a pleasing pattern in the taters.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.


You can, of course, add what ever vegetable strikes your fancy for this concoction, but I stick to the squash and starchy veg.



This was ok. I think nest time about adding some corn, some spices like basil or thyme, maybe some garlic and onion into the veg portion. Maybe some sour cream into the mash, too. It just needed and little something else.

Our guest, Gill, who came over to play Magic with us, was very pleased with it. Now I don't know it that is because I made food or if it had to do with the subtly in flavor, but he assured me that it was an good meal.

Until the next meal....


**Today's title is from Shaun of the Dead: Shaun: As Mr. Sloan always says, there is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "I" in meat pie. Anagram of meat is team... I don't know what he's talking about. **

No comments:

Post a Comment