Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Soap and education are not as sudden as a massacre...

I made soap...Kinda. I made a bar of soap a bunch of liquid soap. and I am very happy about it. I have pinned about 4 different recipes for this so I ended up looking over all of them and making it work. some of them called for glycerin, bu they didn't have liquid glycerin at Trader Joe's or at Michael's so I went with a version that didn't call for it. Here is how it went:

Crockpot Liquid Soap!
Materials
1 4 oz. bar of soap
6-10 cups hot water (I used 10, I next time I will try only 6. The soap quality seems a bit diluted with 10)
Whisk
Essential Oils (I used lavendar)
Honey (like a tablespoon or so...? I just squeezed.)
A Crockpot (As this is just soap and not dangerous stuff, it can be one you use for cooking)
Funnel
Liquid Soap Pump
Soap overflow holding container
Directions:
Grate soap and put into Crockpot
Add water.
Stir it well, so that the soap is fully dissolved. {It will be really runny at this point, but don't worry!}
On low for 2-3hours to help thicken it. Stir in Honey and one squirt of Essential oil.
Turn off heat and let sit over night.
In morning, it should have thickened nicely so you might even have to break it up a bit with your hands {I had to do this and it reminded me of snot, ick!}
Drop in another dose of oil, stir well, and funnel into pump and holding container.
Another option: If it's not thick, you can try mixing 3 tablespoons of salt into 8 oz of water, and then stirring this into your runny soap - a little bit at a time! - until it thickens to the consistency you like. I haven't tried this myself, since my batch worked just fine without it, but apparently it works really quickly so you can see if it's working right away.

Water, soap, honey and oil!
This is the essential oils and soap base I used.
Fun funneling the snot feeling stuff!
The Rabbit is happy to have a cuddle buddy.

Ultimately, I would like to try this with less water and with glycerin. I am VERY happy with the scent of the soap, but the consistency is a bit lacking. Most of all, I am happy to put the soap pump Husband and I received from Cousins Lefler into use!

Until the next craft...!


**Today's title comes from Mark Twain: Soap and education are not as sudden as a massacre, but they are more deadly in the long run.**

No comments:

Post a Comment