Tuesday, April 29, 2014

What could be worse than hummus?

For when we traveled to Boston a few weeks ago, I made my first batch of Hummus. It ended up being a double batch accidentally and thus I had a TON of hummus when I got home.

In order to use it up and not just gorge myself on crackers, pita chips, and baby carrots, I scoured the web and found the following ideas for how to use up hummus, not as hummus.

FIRST FIND: HUMMUS CRUSTED CHICKEN 
Ingredients
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
½ cup hummus 
1 clove garlic, minced
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon red chili powder
1 lemon
Method
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a medium-sized baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Place the chicken breasts in the dish. Using a spoon, scoop the ½ cup hummus into a measuring cup to avoid contaminating the rest of the hummus from the raw chicken. Put the remaining hummus away, and spoon hummus from the measuring cup on the chicken. Spread it around until the breasts are evenly coated.
Sprinkle the minced garlic, smoked paprika, cumin, and red chili powder on top of the chicken (or whatever seasonings you choose to use). Squeeze one lemon half over each chicken breast.
Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the hummus has crisped. Serve immediately.




I don't know what I may or may not have done wrong, but this never got crispy. I also refused to let my chicken get dried out. The flavor was very nice, but it was just what it was: chicken coated in warm hummus. Completely edible, but I am happy I didn't make extra.

SECOND FIND: CHICKEN SALAD
Ingredients:
1 cooked chicken breast, chopped
1 tablespoon dried cranberries
1/2 apple, chopped
2 tablespoons slivered almonds (or chopped walnuts)
1 tablespoon chopped onions
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 tablespoons low-fat Greek yogurt
1 squeeze lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons hummus
Lettuce
Additional vegetables (optional)
Method
Mix everything but the last two ingredients together.

Serve mixture in a lettuce leaf wrap-style or as salad atop lettuce with your favorite vegetables.



This turned out super yummy. The Greek yogurt gives a lovely tartness for the creaminess of the hummus. The dried cranberry and apple adds a good sweetness and the texture of the chicken (which I simmer in an inch of water to keep nice and moist) with the crisp celery simply refreshing..

THIRD FIND: HUMMUS SALAD DRESSING
Ingredients:
For the dressing:
2 tbsp. of water
1 tsp. of hummus
1 tsp. almond butter
1 tsp. of pure maple syrup
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. tahini
dash of salt
Method
Make the dressing by adding all the ingredients to a mug and whisking with a fork until smooth.



I think that this is the winner for the experiment. Creamy without being heavy and the flavor is clean and understated on a salad of romaine and grated zucchini. I am very happy I made this and that we have some to use over the course of the week for nightly salads.

Until the next meal...


**Today and yesterday's title comes from Rick Riodan's The Sea of Monsters:
Annabeth: My fatal flaw. That's what the Sirens showed me. My fatal flaw is hubris.
Percy: the brown stuff they spread on veggie sandwiches?
Annabeth: No, Seaweed Brain. That's HUMMUS. hubris is worse.
Percy: what could be worse than hummus?
Annabeth: Hubris means deadly pride, Percy. Thinking you can do things better than anyone else... Even the gods.**

No comments:

Post a Comment