Friday, April 18, 2014

Give me my robe, put on my crown; I have Immortal longings in me.

So I like to Cosplay, which I am pretty sure you know by now. No, I don't doing it for a living, but yes, I do it regularly. For Wondercon 2014, Husband and I are doing a super duper fun group Cosplay with our Friends from How to Feed a Starving Artist Blog.

We are going as the oh so classic Mario and Luigi with Peach and Daisy.

If you are familiar with these characters, you know that these are the most classic of Nintendo characters.

So I have set to work on making crowns with Pin A and Pin B as my inspirations.

LACE CROWN!

What you’ll need:
Lace (the length and width will vary depending on what you want)
Scissors (for cutting lace)
Foil
Paint Brush (I used bristle but a sponge would have been better)
Metallic Acrylic Paint (I used FolkArt)
Modge Podge
Blowdryer (I didn't use it this time, but I highly suggest you learn from my mistakes)
Needle and Thread
Cookie sheet
Optional: GLITTER (my favorite color is sparkle!) 

First off, I measured the lace out to have a bit of an overlap that would match and cut it. 

This part was done before I cut my hair, obviously.

I laid out some paper (could have used foil) as I decided to paint my lace first with gold paint. I did two or three coats on each for a nice solid bronze/gold look. 



After I painted them, I covered the work space with foil. I coated the lace with two coats of Modge Podge (the outdoor version is what I had on hand thanks to my wedding shoe redo). I then safety pinned the end together and let the crowns dry in the shape they would be taking.

After they were dry, I sewed the ends together and carefully removed the "windows" that had formed. Next time I make one, I will blow dry it a bit in hopes to keep that from happening at all. Removing them didn't work out very well and was SUPER tedious.

Next up, I took a cookie sheet and lined it will foil, and made a fake head out of foil.  Placed the lace crown on the head and then stuck the sheet into the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. This smelled like ick just so you know.

...and this was done afterwards, obviously.


It was a bit sticky/gooey looking after baking, but after it cooled it was pretty darn solid.

At this point, I wanted to add another coat of paint and a ton of gold glitter, but as these crowns were not only going to be worn by me, I decided to only light coating of glitter at certain detail points and apply a bit gold paint mixed with white/yellow to brighten it up a bit.

This is how they turned out:



Check back after Easter Weekend to see the surprise twist on this Cosplay!

Until the next convention...


**Today's title comes from William Shakespeare: Give me my robe, put on my crown; I have Immortal longings in me.**



No comments:

Post a Comment