Wednesday, April 30, 2014

It's absurd. I never go without my dinner.

So with all our travel and adventure last month, we decided to attempt to go a bit cheap on as many meals as possible to keep the budget with in a reasonable amount. That normally means pasta and casseroles. To keep in my healthy eating trend, I substitute healthy alternatives to canned or processed foods. A family friend of Husband's and, now, a friend of mine posted her recipe for Tuna Noodle Casserole  a while back and it got me all hungry for the delishnosh of said food tradition.

Her recipe is a solid one:
Cook:
1/2 box of pasta
Mix together:
3 cans of tuna
2 cans of cream of mushroom soup
1/2 bag of frozen peas
1 pint mushrooms
Worcestershire sauce
Then mix all the things together.
Put into a casserole dish and top with bread crumbs mixed with melted butter.

Cook at 350 for 60 minutes. Enjoy!

Me being me, I use what I have at home/normally buy from the grocery store. Which, as per usual, made it a bit more work than most people desire to put forth for a casserole. The big this is that Husband and I are trying to stay away from most processed foods, so the soup was a no go which really is the life saver of ingredients. 

Here is the ridiculousness I ended up based off of her simply beautiful recipe.
Cook:
1/2 box of pasta
Dice and Saute until tender:
Onion, carrots, garlic, celery, and mushrooms with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 oz Sherry
Mix together:
3 cans of tuna
1/2 bag of frozen peas
1 cup Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon Dijon
Worcestershire sauce
Salt and Pepper
1/2 cup grated (Sharp) cheese
Then mix it all together in a 9X12 Casserole dish and top with:
Paprika / Parmesan / Bread Crumbs /Parsley
Cook at 350 degrees for 30 – 45 minutes






Husband liked all the veggies I jammed into my version of this classic dish. I think that it needs another whole cup of Greek Yogurt as I like my Tuna Noodle Casserole rather creamy and this batch just seemed at bit too much like regular pasta. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle.

Until the next meal...


**Today's title comes from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest:You can't possibly ask me to go without having some dinner. It's absurd. I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that.**

1 comment:

  1. I'm digging the sherry mixed in with the vegetables. I'm not sure if I could handle the cheese though, for whatever reason I have a huge mental block about fish and cheese together.

    ReplyDelete