Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Tidy Tuesday: Konmari Method: Category 4: Other

What I learned about: Category 4: Komono/Other
Komono translates to small articles miscellaneous items. When I explained this category to someone I just said "Everything else that isn't Clothes, Books, Papers, Mementos, or Photos". That being said, there is a law and order to this section as well.
Marie Kondo suggests these Sub Categories in this order:
CDs/DVDs
Skin care products
Makeup
Accessories
Valuables
Electrical equipment (Digi cameras, cords etc)
House hold equipment and appliances (stationary, writing materials, sewing kits etc)
Household supplies (medicine, detergents, tissues etc)
Kitchen goods/ foods (spatulas, pots, blender etc)
Other (spare change, figurines, etc).
If you have many items relating to one type of hobby, create a single subcategory for these items (like Cosplay for me)
The author makes a good point that too many people live surrounded by things they don’t need “just because”. Only keep that which inspires happiness, not what you might someday maybe need. I understand the idea, but the granddaughter of a Depression surviving Grandparents has a hard time with that concept.

Difficult Sub Categories:
Disposables – No, they don’t spark joy by themselves. Don't stock pile them for any reason.
Gifts – Present are not “things”, but a means to convey feelings tone another. You shouldn't keep gifts if they don’t spark joy. I have gotten MUCH better at this in recent years with all the moving I have done. If you don't like it, re-gift it or donate it.
Cosmetic Samples - to be saved for Trips – First questions is: What is the shelf life? Would you use this color on your day today already? Does it spark joy? Unless you have a planned next trip, don't keep it.
Electronics packages – They are bulky and dumb. I didn't even know that people kept the pacakging until I got my Husband a BluRay Player. I can almost understand us keep some boxes since we knew we would be moving, but otherwise, I don't see why you would want/need to.
Unidentified Cords – if you don’t know what it is for, then why keep it? This is a "Duh" Situation.
Broken/not well working appliances – Seriously? No reason to keep such things. This is another "Duh" Situation. Granted we have had out broken Food Processor for 6 months with out it working, but that is because I am waiting on the replacement part.
Spare buttons – You won’t use them unless you are already a sewer. Just buy a new one when you need one,
Products from the latest (now past) health craze – If you haven’t used it yet, you won’t. Having it doesn't make you thinner.
Swag – Thanks Comic-con, I didn’t need all these rubber bracelets, flyers, posters, and such. I just do my best to NOT pick stuff up while I am around the convention and even more so, clean out my bag before I leave the convention center as there might be someone passing that trashcan lid who wants that flyer. but probably not.

How it worked out for me:
This section was hard for me. Mainly because some of these sub categories, much like paper, are not solely under my authority. I went through my CDs/DvDs, Skin Care Products, Makeup, Accessories, and Valuables easily as I know exactly what I had brought into the marriage and that Husband didn't care about my Makeup and most of my Skin Care Products.

Then suddenly I was into the world of Cords and Cameras. I went though what I brought into the relationship, but I still need to ask Husband if he is ok with ridding us of this, that, or the other.

Our "Household equipment and appliances" section is also an awkward section of the cleaning out and most of it is Husband's or is ours so I don't have authority over it.

Household supplies was pretty simple as I felt comfortable cleaning those out as well as the fact that we don't' keep much extra of such things.

Then came kitchen goods and foods. If there is any communal area of our house that I have authority over, it is this area. I went through the pantry and got rid of old things that I knew wouldn't be used. I took stock of what we have so that I can attempt to use it up before we move. We have many kitchen items. I know it is because I inherited things from family members and I was gifted many other items. If you consider the idea of "sparking joy", this whole area wins for me. I love my kitchen. That being said, it was a wonderful feeling to rid myself of cookie cutters and serving dishes I didn't think we would use again let alone WANT to use again, especially to serve our families Thanksgiving Dinner. We got rid of our Juicer because it never works well or easily and it frustrates us more than brings us joy. Otherwise, most everything was kept after I touched everything an then also readied it for moving.

The last subcategory is "other". We keep all our spare change in a coin jar so I really wasn't too concerned with our author's "other" category. I assessed what else needed to be touched that weren't mementos or photos. The only left was my Cosplay and crafting section. Crafting was easy. I got rid of half my crafting boxes and fabric I had been saving for "one day". I also got on myself and finished a few of my projects I had been wanting to do. I felt even happier now that those things were accomplished and could now be enjoyed.

Then came Cosplay. This section was hard. I have gained 20 pounds since a few of these costumes, but they still bring me joy. Then some of the "pieces" belong to my costumer friend who has a selection of wigs. I cleared out a few pieces for costumes that were never used and I have no inclination to wear in the next year, aka no joy sparked. Otherwise though, I kept the majority of them. I think what I enjoy is pretty obvious.

Until the next chapter...

No comments:

Post a Comment