Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Tidy Tuesday: Konmari Method: Category 1: Clothes

My reaction after going through my clothes:

Y'all, this book. You should read it. 

Look at all those bags with the book that made it happen!

So I started this thinking that I had gotten rid of most everything I would be getting rid of. I had already donated 5 bags of clothes and things to the local Charity shop. The Month of January had been a clean out of my clothes and I was feeling pretty confident on this topic. Then this book came into my possession. And, boy howdy, was I wrong.

Before: Closet Left
Before: Closet  Right
Before: Full Drawers: Squished Tight.
Before: Full Drawers: Squished sooooooooooo tight!

Before: Full Drawers: Squished Tight with all the clothes!
Like I said, I have gotten rid of QUITE a bit of clothing over this month already. Marie Kondo, the creator of the the "KonMari" method (it is her name, get it?), sounds more like a life coach than some sort of guru on top of a mystical mountain. This isn't Feng Shui or anything, this is a process that she figured out over the course of her life as a "Professional Tidier" or organizer as we might know it as here in the States. She even says that while this method is not Feng Shui, it is should be done so that you can then Feng Shui your home as you have the space to move things around.

I sorta rolled my eyes when Jessy suggested this book to me, but she and our friend Sarah were raving about it so I gave it a chance. All I can say is yowzer now. I have changed the face of my closet and feel so much better about all of it. I have been able to keep it looking this nice since I "Konmari"'d my clothes, too! THAT is the biggest thing that has impressed me about it.

Here are the numbers:

Tops (including PJs): Started with 117, Got rid of 31, Keeping 86
Bottoms (including PJs and leggings): Started with 86, Got rid of 34, Keeping 52
DressesStarted with 73, Got rid of 23, Keeping 50
Hung clothes: (jackets and coats): Started with 13, Got rid of  3, Keeping 10
SocksStarted with 25, Got rid of  9, Keeping 16
UnderwearStarted with 21, Got rid of 9, Keeping 12
Bags (including suitcases and grocery): Started with 16, Got rid of 4, Keeping 12
Accessories (belts and scarves): Started with 26, Got rid of 6, Keeping 20
Specific Events Clothes (Swimsuits, Snow, Formals, etc): Started with 15, Got rid of 4, Keeping 11
Shoes (including boots, flip flops, slippers: Started with 31, Got rid of 2, Keeping 29

Most importantly: 62 hangers have been liberated. and 1 whole drawer in my dresser.

Also, I can now easily fit my sewing machine in my closet as well as my suitcase of bags which previously had been in my Husband's closet.

ALL THE CLOTHES
A CLOTHESPLOSION



After: Closet Left
After: Closet Right

And then there is my dresser: the clothes can BREATHE now!

PJ Shirts and Night Gowns

PJ Bottoms

All My Tee Shirts!

Tank Tops and Jeans

Shorts and pants!
This method has totally changed my closet and how I view the area as my sacred space, not just storage. While I don't "Thank" each item at the end of each day, I find that replacing it in it's right place is a ceremony and a sign of respect to the item.


Here are some notes from the Clothes portion of Section 3:
The Author insists that you do clothes in this order:
Clothes Sub Categories: Tops, Bottoms, Dresses, Hung clothes – jackets and coats, Socks,
Underwear, Bags, Accessories, Specific events clothes, and Shoes

This includes EVERYTHING you have in the category. She suggests you start wiht your off season clothes of each category first and ask "will this be the first thing I want to wear when the temperature is correct for it?" or "Does it spark joy?". She warns against the “downgrade to lounge wear” pot hole that many of us fall into. If it doesn’t inspire joy, there is NO reason to try and “relax in it” at home. She states quite boldly that what you wear in the house, impacts your self image outside of it. She goes on to explain why folding is like the super duperest best thing ever and now that I have tried it, I couldn't agree more. The trick is folding to stand up, not Gap Store it flat. Also, the more you handle your clothes, the less likely you are to "forget" about items. She suggests that folding clothes can be a meditation, not a chore, and that you should "only hang the willing". Arrange your clothes in the closet so that they rise to the right, which I did, as it gives a relaxing feeling, which surprisingly, it does. Even when the door is closed, you will feel fresh and rejuvenated. The one thing she said that I felt guilty that I didn't see it earlier is the thought process of not balling up socks or stockings, Give them peace and rest while they are in your drawer and then the elastic won't give out as quickly either. In you closet and drawers, don’t over categorize your clothes, only warmer/heavy to the cooler/lightest.

Next up will be Books!

No comments:

Post a Comment