Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Tidy Tuesday: Konmari Method: Category 3: Papers

What I learned about: Category 3: Papers
Ms Kondo asks you to divide your papers into 3 categories and, if it doesn't fit into a category, get rid of it. Those 3 categories are: Currently using, needed for a limited time, and keep indefinitely.
She also has papers divided into needs attention, should be saved (contractual) and should be saved (other). She says, while it is not likely, the "needs attention box" should be emptied every day if possible. A basic rule of thumb of organization, she states that all of the same type of paper must stay in the same area, no where else. One topic I was a little surprised on was for "papers that are not used often" (like insurance policies, guarantees, etc), she suggests to keep them all together and that there is no need to over categorize them. After I thought about that, I conceded that it was a logical idea as you don't need to stress about such things each being in a file folder for itself.

The author found a few types of papers rather troublesome when it came to deciding to keep or not. Here are her thoughts on each:
Lecture materials – will you actually look over the materials again?
Credit card statements – You don’t really need these. Check the statement to your records then dispose of it.
Warranties for Electrical Appliances – you don’t need the manuals. You can normally find them online anyway. Keep all warranties in a single file folder. You don’t need to over categorize as these items are used once a year at most.
Greeting cards – these don’t need to be kept unless they spark joy. You have received it so it has fulfilled it’s purpose.
Used check books – same as the credit card statements
Pay Stubs – same as credit card statements

My reactions: 
I didn't have as much "success" with segment as I had with books and clothes. There is an obvious reason for that: I don't handle the papers in this house. I hand my paycheck (with stub) to Husband as he handles that finances. So the majority of the "papers" would be in his possession. I already went though my "lecture materials" and college stuff a couple years ago and got rid of all of it. The only "papers" for me to go through are really just the warranties/manuals section and greeting cards. Greeting cards quickly end up in the "Mementos" section for me so I won't be touching those boxes even for awhile. So I went though the binder o' warranties and got rid of the manuals and and such we no longer (or ever) needed. I am a list maker, so I made a very obvious place I would be keeping my lists (a currently using piece of paper) and work off them from that location.

Although I have a surplus of cards in my mementos box (my Daddy sends a lot of them), I have been good about greeting cards I have received since reading the book. Husband even made me a HUGE valentine day card that I enjoyed for a week or two and then allowed myself to get rid of it.



So this section wasn't a huge sky opening up and a beam of light striking me as I look up in awe. It was a section that I look forward to helping my Husband with when he reads the book though.



No comments:

Post a Comment