Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Cravings: Tomato Bisque Soup

On President's Day Monday, we gamed. Be played DnD for hours. It was awesome. One of my favorite parts of the "all day" gaming sessions is the food possibilities. I get to feed 5 people twice in one day. I am very fortunate that my friend Kris over at HTFASA offer to help. So for a day of gaming we made roasted chicken (Kris makes AWESOME roasted chicken, you don't even know) with Tomato Bisque (like at Medieval Times!) for Lunch. For Dinner, we made some killer diller Bison Stew. You'll see that come up later on the blog. The best part about this soup recipe is that you make it and then let it cool before you add the cream. I ended up making the soup in the crockpot on Saturday and then boxed it up until the morning of Monday when I added cream and let simmer for 20 minutes with the cream.

Here is a great Tomato Soup recipe:

Tomato Bisque 
1 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs butter
1/4 cup celery finely diced
1/4 cup carrots finely diced
1 cup onions finely diced
2 tsp garlic minced
3 Tbs all purpose flour
6 ounces tomato paste
4 cups/32 ounces chicken stock
2 14.5 ounce cans of fire roasted tomatoes
2 1/2 Tbs of sugar
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp dried Italian seasonings (oregano and basil)
1/4 cup of heavy cream
Salt & Pepper to taste
Directions
Over medium heat, add olive oil and butter to large sauce pan.
Add onions, carrots, and celery to pan and cook until light brown, about 8 minutes.
Add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes stirring constantly.
Add in flour and stir constantly for 2 minutes.
Add tomato paste and stir for 1 minute.
Add chicken stock and deglaze the pan.
Add fire roasted tomatoes and stir.
Add sugar and stir.
Add nutmeg and stir.
Add Italian seasonings and stir.
Turn heat to high and bring soup to a boil
Reduce heat to medium low, cover pan and let soup simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Turn heat off and transfer soup to blender. Fill blender half full, cover with folded towel and pulse blend. Blend till fully pureed. Repeat till all soup is pureed.
Return pureed soup to sauce pan and stir in heavy cream.
Add salt and pepper to taste but you won't need either.
Warm soup till hot and serve.

omglob.

I LOVE this soup. I have been making some sort of variation on this soup since I stated working at Puck's in the St Louis Art Museum years and years ago. Puck's had a REALLY good tomato bisque recipe which I never actually got. Pretty much though, they added TONS of tomatoes to make the awesome texture verses extra cream. That is how I like to roll with my tomato soup recipes too.

It seemed as though the entire group liked the soup as they all said as much and I was super pleased that they did. This was also the first time I have made Tomato Bisque Soup since I found out I was lightly allergic to the nightshade family so also the first time for Husband to have it.

He said he would keep me. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment