Tuesday, September 30, 2014

How I Pack Light for any length of trip

I see TONS of different Pins on Pinterest of how to pack light or two weeks in a carry on. I blame it on my Maman teaching me to pack my own bag as a child then talking over what was and what wasn’t used (or should I say necessary) on the trip we just got home from. Because of this, I have always stressed to myself that Packing Light is a virtue.  After a bit of a travel dry spell, I suddenly realized that my mind was cloudy about what was really important for trips of different sizes. So I drew up my own “How Cat Packs Light” Formula and I would love to share it with you. 

Photo of one of the best bags ever created: The Rick Steve Rolling Carry On.
It can fit so much and still fit in the overhead compartment!

This is by no means something set in stone, but it IS a good outline depending on your style of travel.

Even I don't adhere to it every time I jump on a plane, but I hope it helps all y'all!

How Cat Packs Light:
Packing Outline
My basic formula is that for every week of travel you need 3 outfits.
Outfits:
All outfit pieces are interchangeable and most can double as PJs. When I say interchangeable I mean anything in your bag can be worn with anything else (or at least most everything else). Choose a color palate or family and stick with it and center every piece around it. Stick to neutral colors with dash of color to simplify your life and suitcase. Be sure there is some combination of something a little dressier, something more active, as well as comfy and loose for Travel days. Don’t bother packing heels, unless you absolutely must, which in my experience, is never. This mentality of thinking in OUTFITS works great for me, but ITEMS might work better for others.
Weather Appropriate Accessories:
Going someplace sunny and hot? Bring a sunhat and sunglasses as well as maybe a swimsuit and sarong (can double as a skirt). Going someplace cold? Bring a Jacket, Scarf, Hat, Gloves, and Long Johns.  Wet? Bring a water resistant coat, rain hat, and shoes.
Remember that most Accessories are EXCESSORIES. Besides, if you REALLY need a pair of earrings, why not buy some where you are traveling to and make them your souvenir?

LENGTH OF TRIPS
Weekend Trips (ITEMS: 2 Bottoms, 2 Tops, <or 1 Bottom, 1 Top, 1 Dress> 2 Sets Undies)
Pack only in my Personal Item Bag, no Carry on Suitcase needed
Travel Outfit
Dressy Outfit
Weather Appropriate Accessories
(Depending on events, you might need a Casual Outfit verses a Dressy one)

5-7 Day Trips (ITEMS: 2 Bottoms, 2 Tops, 1 Dress, 3 sets Undies, 1 PJs)
Pack only in my Personal Item Bag, but if I am headed some place cold, I use my carry on due to bulk
Travel Outfit
Casual 1 Outfit
Dressy Outfit
Specifically PJs “Outfit”
Weather Appropriate Accessories

10 Day Trips (ITEMS: 2 Bottoms, 3 Tops, 2 Dress, 5 sets Undies, 1 PJs)
Personal Item and Carry on Suitcase
Travel Outfit
Casual 1 Outfit
Casual 2 Outfit
Dressy Outfit
Specifically PJs “Outfit”
Weather Appropriate Accessories

14+ Day Trips (ITEMS: 2 Bottoms, 4 Tops, 3 Dress, 7 sets Undies, 1 PJs)
Personal Item and Carry on Suitcase
Travel Outfit
Casual 1 Outfit
Casual 2 Outfit
Casual 3 Outfit
Dressy 1 Outfit
Dressy 2 Outfit
Specifically PJs “Outfit”
Weather Appropriate Accessories
3oz bottle of detergent to wash certain clothes in sink at hotel

BAGS
I find that for me, I like having different bags for different things. This might not work for everyone, so if you don't like this, then don't do it! I have two primary bags: my Personal Item Bag (it is normally my purse or a backpack/messenger bag, depending on the location of the travel and if I need a hefty day pack or just a slightly larger purse to carry my camera) and my Carry on Suitcase

Personal Item (aka day pack)
Personal Item Bag is either:
A) Purse - Thick strap with cross body action so it can be worn in front of me
B) Back pack/messenger bag - If a back pack, I utilize small locks for most of the zippers
Within my Personal Item Bag of choice I carry:
Clutch Wallet – If dressy events/plans suggest it is necessary. Make sure it can fit in your purse
Travel Folder – Holds reservation and flight information as well as plans for trip and copy of necessary cards/passport (some trips this is just a piece of paper with the Reservation numbers needed tucked into my clutch wallet
Electronics bags – Keep a check list within to ensure you don’t forget any valuables and will keep you organized
Liquids Baggie – Quart size bag with TSA 3 oz approved liquids. Pack in an outside pocket or on top of main pocket for easy TSA access.
Weather Appropriate Accessories – certain ones of these might be worn depend on destination

Suitcase (Carry on Size)
Toiletries Bag – Holds all toiletries that aren’t liquid and that we haven’t doubled up on with Husband.
Makeup Bag – Bring only the basics
Worst Case Scenario Bag – First Aid and Sewing Kit
Gallon Sized Ziplocs – Pack clothes and press out air for easy packing as well as dividing the dirty clothes from your clean ones
Shoe bags – cuz shoes are germy. You can also use hotel shower caps to keep icky germs away from clothes.

PERSONAL ITEM BAG:
Purse
Ear Plugs
Sleep Mask
Travel Pillow
Hand Sanitizer
Sanitizer Wipes
3 Pens
2 Pencils
1 Sharpie
Journal/paper (I get really good ideas while on a plane)
Chewing gum
Mints
Sweets
Snack
Self Filtering Water Bottle
Tissues
Book
Flashlight
Change of Clothes (Just in case)
Jewelry (Please don’t bring this unless absolutely necessary)

Clutch Wallet
Credit Card
Debit Card
Driver’s License
Cash
Numbers with times and locations of reservations and flights

Travel Folder
This is the neuroticism of me in action. Most people don’t need this, but I find have a stack of papers in my personal item (verses depending solely on an electronic device) with all the information I might need for the trip makes my travel a little easier.
Hotel Reservation Information and Number
Credit and Debit Card Information
Travel Reservation Information and Number
Emergency Contact Information
Medical Insurance Card
Medical History in Brief and List of medications and prescriptions
Travel insurance
Car insurance (if renting a car)
Addresses for Postcards
Copy of Travel Membership cards (if applicable)
Copy of House keys
Copy of Itinerary
Maps and Directions to places on Itinerary
Guidebooks/printed out information

Electronics Bag
Don’t pack an electronic you only “might” use. Only take it if it is necessary.
Checklist of contents of the bag
Kindle/Ipad
Kindle/Ipad charger Cord
Iphone
Iphone Charger Cord
USB Wall Charger for Cords, more slots the better
Headphones
DSLR
DSLR Spare Battery
DSLR Battery Charger
Lens
2 SD Cards
Point and Click Camera
Rechargeable AA Batters
Battery Charger
SD Card Reader (I bring this to back up photos if I think I will have computer access/the Ipad with adapter, just in case)
USB Stick (I bring this to back up photos if I think I will have computer access/the Ipad with adapter, just in case)
Binoculars (no, it isn’t an Electronic, but I would call it a Gadget)

Liquids Baggie
Here is what is listed otherwise that would need to make it into the Liquids Bag.
Toiletries Bag
Sunblock
Lotion
Shower Gel
Shampoo
Conditioner
Makeup Bag
Concealer
Foundation
Nail Polish
Worst Case Scenario Bag
Eye Drops
Anti-Itch Cream
Stain Remover
Personal Item
Hand Sanitizer


Weather Appropriate Accessories
Hot/tropical
Sunglasses
Swimsuit (can double as undies)
Sarong (can double as a dress or skirt, but bring safety pins just in case)
Sun Hat
Fan
Cold/snow
Thermal Top
Scarf
Long Johns
Gloves
Warm Hat
Rain
Rain Coat
Rain Hat
Umbrella

SUITCASE:
Toiletries Bag
A full list is listed below, I find that I can either double up with Husband or live without certain things depending on the location of travel, hotel, and events that will be happening over the trip.
Hair
Shampoo
Conditioner
Comb/Brush
Hairspray
Hair ties
Headband
Hair Clips
Hair Dryer
Utilities
Q-tips
Cotton balls/Swabs
Tampons/pads
Nails
Nail Clippers
Nail File
Nail Polish
Nail Polish Remover Pads
Mouth
Tooth Brush
Tooth Paste
Floss
Mouthwash
Toothpicks
Skin
Lotion
Deodorant
Perfume
Razors
Razor Holder
Shaving Cream
Face Wash
Hand Soap
Shower Gel
Loofah

Double Up Optional Toiletries:
This simply depends on you and your travel partner’s preferences. For example: I don’t mind using men’s deodorant and my Husband doesn’t mind if I use his while we travel.
Hair
Shampoo
Conditioner
Comb/Brush
Hairspray
Hair Dryer
Nails
Nail Clippers
Nail File
Mouth
Tooth Paste
Floss
Mouthwash
Skin
Lotion
Deodorant
Razor Holder
Shaving Cream
Face Wash
Hand Soap
Shower Gel

Makeup Bag
A full list is listed below, I find that I only pack makeup if an event is already planned for that would need it. Otherwise, I pack a pair of tweezers in my First Aid kit, a tinted lip stain that also can be blush, a smudgable eyeliner that I can double as eye crease shadow, and some mascara. Granted, I am blessed with decent skin that is pretty even toned. This is up to the user.
Skin
Concealer
Foundation
Powder
Blush
Powder Brush
Concealer Sponge
Blush Brush
Eye
Mascara
Eyeliner
Eye shadow
Eye Shadow Brush
Eyelash Curler
Lip
Lip Liner
Lip Stick
Lip Stain
Lip Balm
Utility
Makeup Remover Pads
Eye Makeup Remover Pads
Travel Mirror
Tweezers

Worst Case Scenario Bag
This bag is simply because I find that it is easier to have these on hand, then not. This is the neuroticism of me in action as well. The pills are all in the same container and I have a description with dosages listed with a picture folded up inside the pill container. I know this really isn’t necessary, but a comfortable trip is a happy trip.
Sickness Pills
Tums
Alka-Seltzer
Pepto Bismol
Dramamine
Allergy Meds
Benadryl
Mucanex
Aspirin
Ibuprofen
Acetaminophen
Melatonin
Cough Drops
Cold and Flu Meds
Emergen-C
Daily Medication/Pills
Multi Vitamin
Folic Acid
Birth Control Pills
Any other prescriptions, with note from doctor if traveling abroad.
First Aid Kit
Band-Aids
Neosporin
Antiseptic
Eye Drops
Anti-Itch (bug Bit) Cream
Burn Cream
Clothing Kit
Tide Stain Remover Pen
Lint Roller
Mini Sewing Kit

European Needs in Personal Item
Purse
Language Book (with quick reference guide for pocket)
Money Belt
Clutch Wallet
Currency Cash (I like to pack enough for approximate food budget)
Passport/Visa
Traveler’s Cheques (do people use these anymore?)
Travel Folder
Copy of Passport/ Visa
Electronic Bag
Travel Locks
Alarm Clock (if not taking Iphone along)
IPod Touch (if not taking Iphone along, this can be used for Skype and basic internet access  with WiFi without being a tablet)
Conversion Adapters

2 comments:

  1. omgosh, We are in Paris at the moment!!! How fun. Anyway, I packed everything in a small suitcase and a backpack. I can manage the small suitcase by myself, which makes it wonderful. My back bothers me, so I'm going to have to reduce the book weight in my backpack in the future. You should have seem me and your mom in France in 1965. Her suitcase was one of those giant ones that touched the ground when she carried it, because she was so tiny. she had to hike up one shoulder to manage it. We got rid of it pretty early in our trip and got her a manageable one. So much easier. Your list is exhaustive. I wasn't able to read all of it tonight, but will peruse it later. When I pack, I always wish I were a man and could just throw in a few things the morning of the trip, like Stan does. It is not fair that we ladies have to "look good" all the time. I abide by your everything goes with everything doctrine. It works well. So good to see your ideas! I don't know how to get this published, so it's going to be anonymous from bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bonnie!

    Thank you for your comment! This list IS exhaustive, simply because (after a lot of trial and error) I know what I need to have with me to feel like I am prepared for anything while not being "overpacked". Sometimes I wish I were like Husband and could pack the night before, but I will say that more than once in our year and a half of marriage, he has forgotten things he needed/wanted and I fortunately had them thanks to my neurotic behavior.

    As for you "book weight", while I am an avid physical page turner, my Kindle saves me a LOT of space and weight by packing many books in the same machine. Don't knock it till you try it.

    This is the ridiculous list I print out and then strike out everything that is too much for the trip.

    I know that most people don't travel with a first aid/worst case scenario kit, but I find that my trips are always much more enjoyable (because I am at ease) having that with me in a pinch versus trying to find a Pharmacy.

    Also, for most trips, I don't bring most of my makeup bag with me unless I know there is an event that I will need to be done up for. If there is, I squirt as much stuff into baggies/smaller containers to save on space. The DSLR camera is only for trips that will call for that much equipment to capture the location (ie Hawaii, Paris, Tokyo ).

    I can imagine you and my Maman running around France with a less than ideal suitcase with your little white gloves. I hope Paris is treating y'all well.

    Happy travels and trails!

    ReplyDelete