Tuesday, September 16, 2014

...it starts hissing and spitting like an angry ferret...

Husband and I are trying to not spend much money. Our paychecks haven't been as they normally have been in months passed. Nothing to worry about, just something to mindful of, so Husband, the great and powerful budget maker, has request that we try to save where ever we can. So I am attempting this month to cut out food budget by a quarter. This isn't easy, living in California, where there is a stupidly severe drought and the cost of food has risen quite a bit in the last 3 months. Nonetheless, Husband and I are a team, so I figured that I could at least try.

In response to the idea of saving money, I have returned to the goals of eating vegetarian at least once a week. Here is a little recipe that is good for those on a budget wanting to save money, but keep the flavor and nutritional value of their meal. Plus, these would be quick and easy things to have to reheat for a light meal thanks to the food saver. Squee!

Black Bean Fritters
16 oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 a red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, chopped finely 
1/4 cup of cooked corn kernels (frozen or canned)
Zest of 1 lime (Didn't have it so I left it out)
4 scallions, diced (Didn't have it so I left it out)
1/2 a cup self-rising flour or vegan pancake mix
2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
Egg replacer (enough to replace 2 eggs if vegan)
1/4 teaspoon of cumin
1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika 
Salt
Pepper
Olive oil
Add all ingredients but olive oil together, and use a potato masher to crush the beans slightly. Let sit for about 5 minutes, and adjust the flour/pancake mix as needed (it should be neither too liquidy, nor too thick. If you need to thin it out a bit, add water or more non-dairy milk). Heat a teaspoon or so of oil in a large, non-stick skillet, and once it starts hissing and spitting like an angry ferret, turn the heat down to medium and drop the batter in by the spoonful. I like to make this 1/4 cup at a time so they're bite-sized, but make whatever size you like.
Cook until they're nice and brown on both sides, and serve hot. They're great on their own, or topped with vegan sour cream or guacamole.

Mashing it up!

All fried up!

These were much more flavorful than I thought they would be. I think I need to make them thinner next time as they were a little soft on the inside, yet crisp on the outside. These will be made again for sure as I like them a LOT more than my corn fritters I made a while back. Easy and I normally have everything the recipe calls for in my kitchen.

Until the next meal...

No comments:

Post a Comment