Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Chicken Taquitos a la Liz from Super Swell Times

This recipe comes from my blog friend (who also happens to be a family friend of my husband's family), Liz over at Superswelltimes.wordpress.com.

A really easy recipe for Chicken Taquitos: 
Throw three chicken breasts, a packet of taco seasoning and a scant cup of water in the crockpot on low for 6 hours.
Take the chicken out of the crockpot, discard the liquid and shred the meat.
Put the shredded meat in a bowl with one block of cream cheese and one bag of shredded cheese.
Stir the cheese and chicken mixture into submission.
Grab a stack of tortillas and fill each with a golf ball sized lump of the cheese and chicken.
Smoosh out the meat/cheese and fold over the tortillas.
Fill up a baking sheet with taquitos and bake at 375 for 20 minutes.

Taquitos to the right, Phyllo Pizza Rolls to the left.
As per usually, I changed it slightly: I added a little Hot Rotel to mine as I love tomato, onion, and heat. I didn't use pre mixed seasoning, instead I added Chili Powder, Cumin, Garlic Salt, Black Pepper, and a dash of Cayenne and Basil. I also added less cream cheese and shredded cheese simply because I didn't have that much of each in my kitchen.

This was quite a filling meal that either Husband or I could prepare and I think that this will be made for years to come for our family and future someday maybe children (without the spiciness, of course).

As you can see, Husband and I did a GREAT job eating healthy this evening. Pizza Rolls and Chicken Taquitos hearken back to the nights we first started hang out, playing video games, and watching movies back in college. It was a lovely evening of snack dinner and not sitting at the dinner room table.

I highly suggest that if you are in the habit of eating and watching TV, go to the table and focus on each other while you eat once and awhile. For us, it was a nice nite off of watching Agents of Shield and eating junk food on the sofa.


1 comment: