Thursday, September 11, 2014

Fa-fa-fa-fa-faah-fa-fa-fa-fah Falafel

As most of the time I am inclined to do, I was looking for a a healthier version of a dish I already love. That is when I stumbled onto this recipe for Falafel. While I have never made Falafel, I have always enjoyed it when I have go out for it and I decided it was time to try it out myself. Without much ado, I give you:

Healthy Zucchini Falafel

Ingredients
2 cups zucchini (grated)
2 cups chickpeas (garbanzo - soaked and cooked or canned)
2 garlic cloves
2 cups cilantro (coriander leaves)
1 tsp chilly powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
Instructions
Grate the zucchini and add 1/2 tsp salt and allow to rest for 30 minutes. Next squeeze the zucchini to remove as much moisture as possible. If using dry chickpeas, soak overnight and cook or use canned chickpeas.
Chop coriander leaves and garlic. Grind the cooked chickpeas using very little water.
To the squeezed zucchini add the chickpea puree, coriander leaves + garlic mixture, chilly powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and salt. Mix well.
Make small balls of the mix, flatten the balls, place on a greased baking sheet and bake in a preheated 400F oven for 20 min, flip over and then bake for another 10 - 15 minutes.


My Skinny Minnie Best Friend!

Note the lack of use of Pita for the friend who isn't eating Carbs!
I put in some roasted red pepper hummus, feta, and cucumber into the pita
as well as on the side to enjoy with the Hummus!
This was a delicious dish and was really quite easy. I think if I make this again, I will use and eggs as the falafel pieces seemed rather flimsy. This is easy to make and is rather good reheated, although fresh was best.

Until the next meal...

No comments:

Post a Comment