Thursday, September 25, 2014

Bread Pudding Part 2: Savory

...and now for Part 2: The savory portion!

SAVORY BREAD PUDDING

I had left over asiago, onion, and balsamic stuffing from my Stuffed Mushrooms which I made while Auntie was in town as well. So I decided to attempt to make a bread pudding surrounding that flavor for the savory one. This is a fine example of how I just sort of "wing it" in the kitchen. Baffles Husband as he and MiL function off of recipes. Granted, there is no guarantee that this is going to turn out..

Leftover Stuffed Mushroom Filling Bread Pudding

Ingredients
About 1 1/2 cup of Stuffing for Mushrooms which is normally made like this:
1 whole yellow (red is good too) onion, finely cut
sautéed and reduced in 3 T Balsamic Vinegar, 2 T olive oil, 2 cloves of garlic, minced, and Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Cook till Balsamic is reduced and absorbed.
Combine cooled onions with 4 oz cream cheese and 6 ounces Manchego cheese, (or Asiago or Parmesan,) coarsely grated
PLUS:
3 large eggs
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3 cups of cubed bread
1 1/2 cup left over Stuffed Mushroom Stuffing
1 clove garlic - minced
Method:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. 
Grease a 9X5 pan (in my case, muffin tin) with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
Combine eggs, cream, milk, lemon juice, salt, and pepper well.
Put cubed bread in and allow to sit for 15-20 minutes until "custard" is absorbed.
Pour excess custard in to a pouring measuring cup and save for later.
Break up Mushroom Stuffing into bread and stir gently until stuffing is evenly distributed through the bread.
Spoon mixture into greased pan (or muffin tin) pressing lightly every so often to pack in the bread and stuffing.
Pour remaining "custard" over bread and then dust with Parmesan.
Bake for 35-45 minutes ensure custard is cooked and bread is set.

Really needed some green on the plate...sorry future children.

This was so much better than I though it was going to be. I am a bit relieved to be honest. I served it with a lightly seasoned, baked chicken breast. When I put it down in front of Husband and myself, I said "If this bad, don't eat it. I will make something else". Fortunately, it was quite edible and yummy. While I think the lack of substance means I won't be making it again when I could just stuff a chicken boob with the left over stuffing, but I am glad I tried this out. Plus I made another excellent dessert bread pudding. :)

Until the next bread pudding...

No comments:

Post a Comment