Monday, September 8, 2014

BFMH (and Auntie):Truffled Eggs on Toast

My Auntie was in town last week, so I really wanted to up the ante (...see what I did there?) with serving her several breakfasts and delights. Hence the reason you are getting another post from when she was in town. Next weeks will be the same way.

So while I was playing on the Pinterest, I found this excellent Post. As I attempted to make bread last week, I figured I could us some nice big chunks of it for this little ditty.

Truffled Eggs on Toast

Ingredients
1 inch+ thick slice of square good quality bread (I like whole grain)
2 egg yolks
melted butter or olive oil
1/4 cup grated fontina cheese (low fat works, too) Swiss could work!
1 tsp. truffle oil (or olive oil if you don’t have any)
Freshly ground salt and ground black pepper
Makes 1
Method
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
Cut the crusts off the bread and lightly brush melted butter/oil on the sides of the bread.
Using a sharp knife cut a shallow square well into the centre of the bread, by cutting an outline and then scooping out the middle. Butter an oven safe frying pan or well-used baking sheet (it could get messy), and place the bread on the buttered surface.
Distribute the grated fontina evenly around the well, then carefully add the egg yolks on top.
Bake for 3 minutes or until the cheese has melted, the bread has toasted, and the eggs have set a bit.
Remove from the oven, stir the runny yolks and drizzle the truffle oil on the surface.  Finish with freshly ground salt and pepper on top. Serve hot.

Though not a Fry Up, still thoroughly British. 
Cutting out the troughs!
This was quite nice. A little more work than I would normally do, but since I made it while Auntie was here, it was a.o.k. The bread I made was lacking, but it work very nicely for this dish with all the other stuff going on. I served it with fried tomatoes and sausages, which proved to be a bit too much food for all of us. I would like to try this with better tasting bread sometime.

All in all, I will make it for company, but probably never just for Husband and myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment