Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Addiction via Rice

I started cooking when I was young thanks to my Mother's example and my twin brother's desire to watch the Food Network. I found a website when I was in High School, after Maman passed away, that had several recipes I offered to make for dinner once so my Poppa Bear didn't tear his hair out trying to feed two picking and bereaved teenagers. Thanks's to Top Secret Recipes on the Web (I think it is only in book form now), I found a recipe for Benihana Fried Rice to which I added chicken and cooked the rice in half chicken stock and half water (you can easily leave out the Chicken and stock for the Vegetarians out there).

Benihana Fried Rice

Ingredients
1 tablespoon sunflower (or sesame or olive) oil
4 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch chunks (leave out for Vegetarian)
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
2 tablespoon garlic butter -crushed garlic with butter, go with what feels right (Leave out for vegan)
3 eggs (Leave out for vegan)
1 cup onions, diced
1/4 cup carrots, diced
1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
2 cups cooked white rice (a day old is better, believe it or not, as you want it a little dry, I like to cook mine in equal parts water and chicken stock to get it extra flavorful)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame seeds (if you have them, if you don't no sweat)
Directions
Add the sunflower oil to a skillet and set over medium heat. Meanwhile, season the chicken with salt and pepper. Cook the chicken (stirring occasionally) until lightly-browned, firm, and opaque throughout. Add the garlic butter and stir to coat the chicken. Set aside.
Using the same pan, cook the onions, carrots and green onions until softened. Set aside.
Wipe out the pan, then scramble the eggs (season the raw egg with salt and pepper to taste). Add the rice, soy sauce, sesame seeds, chicken, onions, carrots and green onion to the pan and cook until the rice is warm and browned. Serve hot.


This is an easy dish as well as being one that is kinda perfect for the magic that are left overs. As usually, this dish fed my desire for Chinese and chicken. Granted, I could really use a trip to Benihana. I fed a couple friends this later in the day and they are thought it was solid as well. so WIN! Maybe while Auntie is in town or when Poppa Bear and Care Bear are around in the Fall.

Until the next meal...


No comments:

Post a Comment